Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what speed does the G80 locking diff disengage? I'm thinking of an example where if I was going up an icy hill and one tire had traction and the other didn't, if I was traveling at 25 mph, would the G80 still give power to the tire that had traction if the other tire was spinning? Or does the G80 work at low speeds only?

It's my first winter with my '10 Z85 4x4 and it has the G80. Not sure what to expect.
Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
In my truck if im going 25 mph I can punch it and I will spin for about 1 or 2 seconds, then it will engage and stop spinning. The slower the spinning on the free tire, compared to the traction tire, the slower it will engage.

The locker is centrifugal so that is why a faster spin on the free tire will engage it quicker. I have had my truck for 2 winters now and have never had problems with the locker not being engaged at different speeds!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my truck if im going 25 mph I can punch it and I will spin for about 1 or 2 seconds, then it will engage and stop spinning. The slower the spinning on the free tire, compared to the traction tire, the slower it will engage.

The locker is centrifugal so that is why a faster spin on the free tire will engage it quicker. I have had my truck for 2 winters now and have never had problems with the locker not being engaged at different speeds!
Ok, that's good to know. May not have to use 4wd as much with the G80 locker!

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
According to the design it shouldn't engage over 25mph, but most of us have found that they really do what they please. I've had mine lock up a bunch of times until I reverse, then think it's broken even though it unlocked, pull it apart, and everything is fine.

Mines engaged over 25mph plenty of times and halfway up hills. Overall I can't complain in it's performance. It always seems to lock and stay that way for burnouts and offroad it's always been good to me.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I have had really really good luck with mine off roads as well. Went rock crawling last year and was in 2WD until we had to turn around because the Jeep in front of me burnt out his clutch doing the same thing I was doing haha.

Heres two shots from that day (had to pull the jeep back down the rocks backwards :yup:
WP_20130914_006.jpg WP_20130914_007.jpg
Bumpers were in the shop getting rhino lined haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts