Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am going to attempt to do a rear diff swap in my truck. From what I understand I should be able to remove the old diff and put the new one in, Bleed the brackes and go. I know that the axle will be 2" wider which os not a big deal. any other differances I should be aware of. Anyone got any tips for me? Need the diff for snow this winter.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
If your truck is 4x4, make sure the gear ratio is the same as the one in the front :).... and make sure the "new" diff has got enough fluid in it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok sweet I just scored the axle I want for a pretty good deal. Only $300!:th_woot: I need some more help so I dont get burned here. how can I identify the axle by looking at it? does it have any stampings to conferm it is a 373 g80? or will I have to remove the rear cover?

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts
I'm pretty sure your gonna have to remove the cover. Match up the carrier it should be obvious if its the locker. And as far as the ratio goes you could always count the teeth on the gears. It doesn't have a ratio tag on one of the cover bolts?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone here ever done this swap? Is it a true bolt in swap?? I dont have a full shop or anything, I am going to do this in my driveway with a few friends, so I want to get as much information upfront as I can before I pull that bitch out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats good advice too. Hopefully this guy wont mind me pulling off the cover. Also that will give me a chance to check out the oil condition and check out the clutches.

·
the guy that always on
3,237 Posts
Honestly if he minds you pulling the cover I'd walk away. That no beuno. If the new axle is out of a Colorado it will be direct bolt in and it should be a simple replace one with the other type swap.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if you're getting a 4wd axle you'll have to change the leaf spring perches and move them in ward.. to line up to your 2wd z85 truck.. been down this road once. ended up getting the correct axle for the truck.. if you can weld go for it if not let a shop do it for you .
Thanks for the heads up. So 4 x trucks have different leaf spring spacing?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so I settled for a g80 diff out of a 2wd truck. Going to go pick it up in a couple hours along with a few other goodies.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts