Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted it in the g80 sticky but no replies. Does anyone know why it would be stuck engaged? i'm gonna open up the rear diff this weekend. it really is a pain in the ass.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Broken springs. Stab the gas in reverse a couple times if you haven't, sometimes they wear a little and don't disengage without a couple reverse rotations. If it doesn't let go from that, then prepare to at least replace a few pieces if you can get them separate.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
wow, I´ve heard about G80´s that won´t engage, but this is new.
That's because most people grenade them shortly after rather than getting the chance to fix it. It all depends on which part fails, there's only one or two that won't wipe out part of the carrier if they break free into the gears.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Mine locked after a session in heavy sand; reversed it a couple of times, drove around the block and got released. It has locked/unlocked several times after that one with no problems so far.

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
I put Lucas syntheic 75W 90 in mine and it locks/unlocks just fine. Never had an issue with it.

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
Turn a tight circle in a blacktop parking lot. If one of the rear end tires chirp it's stuck, if not, it isn't.

·
Registered
424 Posts
How would limited slip additive have any negative effect????????

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
The G80 is a mechanical locker, which relies on the speed of the axle and the differentiation of left/right axle speeds to lock/unlock. It's a centrifugal type locking mechanism. The additive causes the workings and mechanism to stay "locked" longer than normal. That's why those who have the additive are experiencing issues with the G80 staying locked.

The G80 is NOT limited slip. It's a bona-fide locking axle that's controlled automatically.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The G80 is a mechanical locker, which relies on the speed of the axle and the differentiation of left/right axle speeds to lock/unlock. It's a centrifugal type locking mechanism. The additive causes the workings and mechanism to stay "locked" longer than normal. That's why those who have the additive are experiencing issues with the G80 staying locked.

The G80 is NOT limited slip. It's a bona-fide locking axle that's controlled automatically.
^^^
This

rolling a blunt somewhere

·
Registered
424 Posts
How does limited slip additive make it stay "locked" longer?......the additive only makes things slicker. I just don't see how the additive could possibly have a negative effect on any type of locking diff.

·
Registered
994 Posts
How does limited slip additive make it stay "locked" longer?......the additive only makes things slicker. I just don't see how the additive could possibly have a negative effect on any type of locking diff.
Surface tension. Ever watch those skeeters zipping across the water? They don't get wet due to the water's surface tension. LS adds to the oil's surface tension, making it harder for bits & pieces to unlock, where in an limited-slip differential, the little clutch discs need that tension to work properly.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Surface tension. Ever watch those skeeters zipping across the water? They don't get wet due to the water's surface tension. LS adds to the oil's surface tension, making it harder for bits & pieces to unlock, where in an limited-slip differential, the little clutch discs need that tension to work properly.
The additive allows the clutches (in a limited slip diff) to "slip more/grip less" so the clutches won't/don't "chatter" in a turn. If anything, the limited slip additive reduces surface tension/friction and has no effect on a locking diff or skeeters.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts