Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 3.5 I5 and the 5 speed trans. i put 32 inch tires on the truck and i have 3.42 gears. according to this chart;

http://www.intercotire.com/site63.php

i should be getting great gas mielage, but instead i am getting 15-17 MPG on the highway. i am now debating weather to get 3.73's or 4.11's ,dont want to shift like crazy but i do want to get better mielage on the highway. will someone please explain to me why i am getting such bad mielage with highway gears? also anyone know what the ratio of our manual trans is in 5th gear? what is the best RPM to maintain on the highway with the 3.5 engine?

·
Registered
619 Posts
See the yellow on the chart? That is optimum "better gas mileage" theres a point where you take more gas to get to speed, then once your there the rpms are to low which in turn.....lugging a motor uses more gas, just as over revving

Thats how it was explained to me when I had to decide with my Z71.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
It also matters the weight of the tires. The General 31" tires weigh something like 35 pounds each. My BFG AT/KO 33" tires weigh 56 pounds each.

As an note, the 32" BFG AT/KO weigh 50 pounds or so.

·
0 Posts
These trucks really need 4.56's to wake up and go. Off the line they just fall on their face with massive face falling force.

C

·
0 Posts
lol whats wrong with 15-17? thats what im getting now...ive been getting that since i got the truck

·
Registered
619 Posts
These trucks really need 4.56's to wake up and go. Off the line they just fall on their face with massive face falling force.
Thats cuz you got an I-4 :yup: ...just messin.

When I get my 33's I will be getting 4.56's. But I will have alot of weight also with the 2 spares, roof rack, my custom front and rear bumpers. It should put me in the range I wanna be at.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol whats wrong with 15-17? thats what im getting now...ive been getting that since i got the truck
thats good numbers for a 4x4, crew cab, automatic, i want to get at least 18 on the highway with my 2X, reg cab, 5 speed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was told 4.10 was the lowest I could go in my factory carriers. They said to go 4.56 I would have to get h3 axles. Was this bad info?

·
Premium Member
2,860 Posts
I was told 4.10 was the lowest I could go in my factory carriers. They said to go 4.56 I would have to get h3 axles. Was this bad info?
From what i was told they do not make 4:56 gears for our trucks! I have searched and did not find any place that made them. 4:10's are the lowest, that is correct.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Yeah only 4.56s for the H3s!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts