Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright well my truck is getting such shitty gas milage n im trying to figure out what is causing it. my truck now has no muffler and i was wondering if not having a muffler n haveing no back pressure might be cuaseing it. ALSO i do not have that vapor box or what ever that box thing is that is linked to our gas tanks on what does that do what that be a reason why im not getting good gas milage? lemme know SOON!!!!!

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
That vapor box is part of the evaporative emissions system. Without it I'd be surprised if you're not setting a CEL. I doubt the lack of a muffler is causing the loss in gas mileage. How bad are we talking?

·
0 Posts
CEL = Check Engine Light

Come time for you to pass emissions you'll need to hook that box back up...

I found that w/ the 2.8L if you drive with any kind of heavy foot you're mileage will suck real bad. Its like either you get good gas millage and drive like grandma on Sunday morning or you drive like a bat out of hell, there is no real in between as far as gas usage goes. Thats from my own personal experience. If I want to I can easily go empty my gas tank in under 30min...Then on the other hand if I know money is tight or I don't feel like spending a lot on gas one week I can putt around and get about 400 miles per tank!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ha well im tellin you my driving is not the reason.... becuase i drive like a grandma everywhere.... i literally got like old guys n shit passin me on the right somtimes... ha so there is def somthing else wrong... the thing im tryinn to think of is how am i even gonna hook that box back up once i put my fuel cell on... oh n my check engine light is on.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
We need more details, what year, engine, axle ratio, tire size. Still have the cats on? How's it performing? If you driving 60, press the pedal down (but not so much that it shifts) how well does it accelerate, or can you pull interstate hills in OD. Has your mileage always been crappy?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Have you tried replacing the spark plugs or the fuel filter? Cleaning/replacing the air filter?

·
0 Posts
Here's a good test for you...The part of the 101 between 7th St. and AZ51 there's a decent steady hill if you are going east bound...In my truck going 65 it will be a nice steady pull all the way up the hill, my truck doesn't downshift or bog at all...the exhaust note gets a big louder so i know my truck is working a lil bit harder but it doesn't struggle at all...

Try taking your truck up that hill and see how it does...I use that hill to gauge my butt dyno...When it first got my truck it had to work harder to get up than it does now after my mods...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Here's a good test for you...The part of the 101 between 7th St. and AZ51 there's a decent steady hill if you are going east bound...In my truck going 65 it will be a nice steady pull all the way up the hill, my truck doesn't downshift or bog at all...the exhaust note gets a big louder so i know my truck is working a lil bit harder but it doesn't struggle at all...

Try taking your truck up that hill and see how it does...I use that hill to gauge my butt dyno...When it first got my truck it had to work harder to get up than it does now after my mods...

That's exactly like what I was getting at! It's impossible to move down the road an get less than 13 miles a gallon in overdrive, the engine is too small to move burn that much fuel.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
:true: i forgot to put mine back on for a few days and got terrible mileage.
How the HELL did your engine even idle without it? I know mine flips the fuck out after the initial rev from the start when it trys to goto the desired idle RPM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts