Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my '07 Colorado a year ago and right away I noticed that it got terrible mileage. It's a 2wd, reg cab, 2.9l, manual and it got a best of 23mpg at 65mph.

I always thought that something was inherently wrong with the truck, but when I tried talking with people about it or searching forums, I was told that my 23mpg wasn't that bad.

I'm calling BS

Here's my mpg at 65mph versus the mods I did to the truck:

Stock: 23 mpg

Added long tube header/exhaust (no cats): 25.5 mpg

Added PCMs For Less tune and cleaned injectors: 25 mpg (got worse!)

Added 60lb injectors and Limeswap tune: 25.5 mpg

Added tweaked Limeswap tune (told him my mpg problems and driving habits): 28.8 mpg (!)

Added turbo system (longtubes removed): 29.1 mpg (!!)

Here's a big :fugrin: to everyone who blamed my driving habits, bad gas, or the phases of the moon for my poor mileage.

Notice I didn't replace any sensors or spark plugs.

To anyone not getting the mileage that you should, there is hope! Get your truck tuned by someone who knows what they're doing.

NOTE:
***I'm not calling out anybody on this forum. I'm mainly ticked at my Chevy dealer for blaming me / everything but the truck for my crappy mileage****

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I'm kind of confused. Were you expecting your truck to get 29mpg's stock?

Mind if I ask what the cost of the new turbo setup is? Or what kind of power you're expecting?

Just picked through your build. That header looks saweet!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm kind of confused. Were you expecting your truck to get 29mpg's stock?
Yes.

I had an '05 Ranger 2wd, reg cab, 4cyl, 5sp that got 30mpg @ 65mph. I was really disappointed with 23 stock with my Colorado.

I think the turbo system costed around $2500 total. That was with me building everything myself.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
833 Posts
300 hp and 30 mpg in a truck?

Not bad, LLV.MA5, not bad :)

Doesn't apply to you, but I think the 4l60e is a bit of a gas hog too.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
300 hp and 30 mpg in a truck?
Can't buy a truck like that at the dealer!

I thought it was cool that the mileage even improved with the turbo. Must be due to the reduced throttle angle required while pulling hills. (?) The turbo does a good job of shoving air past the flap even at low throttle openings.

Excited to see what an e fan does!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I'm surprised the next gen Colorado is not getting a turbo gas engine. I believe the 2.5L I4 will be a NA engine.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I don't understand this thread.

The truck is FAR from stock. So how is this a fuel economy on GM rant? I have a difficult time understanding the number, but I can't see them so I can't honestly say the long-term average is very accurate or not. However there was a ton of money dumped in. And if the person isn't capable of those updates, the labor is ridiculous.

·
pssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
1,999 Posts
I'm wondering how you got these numbers? Also, the turbo will only increase your mpg if you stay off the throttle. When you go into PE, it has to dump more fuel in thus lowering your mpg. And as I'm sure you learned by now, it's kinda hard not to hit the throttle and hear that turbo whistle :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and thats on the stock 2.9 with just upgraded injectors and obviously turbo? got any pics on your turbo set up?
Pretty much. There are pictures in the LLV.MA5 thread in the Forced Induction section.

I didn't mean for this thread to be about the turbo. I just wanted to show how much a good exhaust and tune can do for mileage. The turbo is a side note.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm wondering how you got these numbers? Also, the turbo will only increase your mpg if you stay off the throttle. When you go into PE, it has to dump more fuel in thus lowering your mpg. And as I'm sure you learned by now, it's kinda hard not to hit the throttle and hear that turbo whistle :)
Not sure which numbers you are referring to...

The mileage was calculated by driving 65mph for a couple hundred miles down the same stretch of freeway. I was going easy on it. Trying to get good mileage.

The HP numbers come from this calculation (assumes 200hp without boost):
((14.7psi+8psi)/14.7psi)*200hp

True story. I can burn a bunch of fuel in a hurry if I'm not careful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pretty much. There are pictures in the LLV.MA5 thread in the Forced Induction section.

I didn't mean for this thread to be about the turbo. I just wanted to show how much a good exhaust and tune can do for mileage. The turbo is a side note.
found it thanks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts