Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this is my official first post on this forum. I usually only get $20 in my tank but everyonce in a while I fill it and when I do, I guess the sensor or whatever that knows when it's about to be full doesn't respond cause the gas spills over all over the place. Not quite sure what the issue is but would be glad to hear some ideas, thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
It is probably a venting problem. There is no 'sensor' to know when it's full. That is the job of the nozzle, not the truck/fuel tank. The tank isn't venting quickly enough which prevents fuel from draining into the tank. Like a clogged sink drain.

I can't remember what is in all of these threads, I'm going off the subject line. But I know you are not the first to experience overflows.

See if these help:
http://www.355nation.net/forum/i4-i5-engine-drivetrain/45908-putting-gas.html
http://www.355nation.net/forum/exterior/95986-gas-tank-overflowing-smell-fuel-cab.html
http://www.355nation.net/forum/i4-i5-engine-drivetrain/62937-difficulty-filling-tank.html
http://www.355nation.net/forum/engines-performance-tech-questions/63489-fuel-leak-while-filling.html

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
If you had the nozzle clicked to fill your tank and it did fill the tank, but then overflows afterwords.That's my take on the op. Well then that's a broken gas pump nozzle.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Try a different gas station, or different pump. It's completely up to the nozzle to shut off when it's full.

If you doubt that it's the nozzle, take a little gas can up there and see if it will keep pumping once it's full. It should shut off. If not, it's the nozzle.

If it shuts off on the gas can, but still overfills the truck, well... then I'm useless.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ive started having the same issue. But its only since winter. IDK if its because the air is much different or what. Ive only had this Colorado since June but my first one I had for awhile and it was an 04. I dont remember having this problem. I've even been on roadtrips recently and it has happened. Not sure why the sudden 'burping' issue. The pump will only stop after a bit spills out. I've also been to quite a few BRAND NEW pumps.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
There is a vent line in the intake nozzle. If you unhook it and pour seafoam in it, sometimes you can free the line and be able to fill without worry. My truck did this when we first bought it from Minnesota.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
This happens often with my truck.
It didn't always do this, but it's been happening for two or three years now.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,780 Posts
Mine does this as well and has gotten so bad that I cannot even pump full speed when filling the truck. I really need to clear out my vent hose and check my solenoid...

·
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
1,553 Posts
I have had the same problem lately, i know how much its going to take to get to the fill mark and i slow the fuel flow down so it doesnt do it, its pretty simple just pay attention to what you are going

·
Registered
31 Posts
same problem here since I got the truck 2 years ago.. i just fill it slow and listen for when it's close... and if it spills over.. eh

·
Legen..wait4it..Dary!
806 Posts
Figured I'd post up since everyone else is having this issue. I have had this problem since I bought the truck. I haven't had time to take it apart and see if its clogged. but I am assuming it is most likely a clogging issue. It drives me insane. It will throw gasoline back at me even if I am trying to control the speed!

I am going to check the links posted before, and then take it apart when it gets warmer. Hopefully there is an easy fix. I will post my findings as soon as I do this if no one beats me to it.

EDIT* I am now sure this is it. here you go guys (at least for me)

http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-...ce-your-evap-canister-solenoid-p0455-code.htm l

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the opposite problem actually, can never fill it above 17 Gallons. I let me gauge hit ALMOST Empty then i refill it to check my mileage. Never seen a low fuel light, never had splash back.
Edit:Spelling

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so I replaced my solenoid evap canister valve thingy(cylindrical piece with plug) AC Delco part number 2142147 which cross referenced to another brand part which I bought at NAPA. I no longer have gas spilling over when I fill it up at the gas station but when I'm below 1/8 of a tank and I floor it, as I approach higher RPM's the throttle basically shuts down like it's about to stall and then I have to give it less throttle. I feel like I still have shitty gas mileage. I only replaced the solenoid so maybe I should replace the whole canister too? Any thoughts? Thanks lol. Here's a pic of the old setup and the new part I'm replacing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Neither the valve or the canister will affect the rpm or the gas mileage of your truck. If you aren't hitting the rev limiter, maybe change the fuel filter. Could be a problem with the fuel pressure regulator or even the pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was having the same problem. Blew out the vent line at the gas filler with air compressor with long nozzle. No more back splash.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts