Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been around here for the past few years and finally decided to make a build tread!
I'll have the rest of the pictures up when I get home tonight.

Here's where we start. In April 2011 I got my 2006 chevy Colorado z71 crew cab. It was pretty much bone stock except for an aftermarket Kenwood radio, and had 53k miles on the clock.

The first thing I did was do the dual hi/low mod and crank the tb's to level the truck out. After a couple months I got a flow master muffler and single rear exit tip installed. I got bored with the stock system and bought a kicker comp 8 and built a sealed box for it. The sub was powered by a cheap Kenwood 150 watt amp.
insert pic
I left it like this for a while then got bored with it. I bought a Kenwood 10" sub and a cheap infinity 2 channel amp. I also built another sealed box to house my new sub. Not long after I bought a power acoustik amp to match the sub little better. At this time I hooked up the infinity amp to my mids and highs. I left it like this for a while, then I got the mod bug again and plasti dipped the black surround on my grille and dipped my
bow tie white. I blew my Kenwood sub so I upgraded to a kicker cvr 10" and alpine mrp-m500, and moved my power acoustik to my mids and highs. My head unit started to act up so I purchased a new Kenwood bluetooth head unit. Christmas 2012 I upgraded my door speakers to Alpine sps 610 and 610c.

Around April 2013 I got bored with my system once again and built a new ported box for my cvr 10 and was very pleased with the way it sounded.

I went away to college in the fall so modding kind of stopped for a little while. During thanksgiving break i started working on a floor console that would fit a 1st gen full size ipad. progress went slow as I could only work on it when I was home for breaks.

Christmas 2013: my flow master muffler had a loose baffle that was rattling like crazy so I bought a new flow master cat back system from boosted5

I cut some DRL covers out on the water jet

I got some new rubber on the rado (bfg a/t)

this summer I plasti dipped my radio bezel and a/c vents.

I did the big 3 upgrade
insert pics
around this time I also bought a 17" led light bar

once again I kind of got bored with my sub setup so I bought a sundown sa8

I wanted to be able to fit 3 people in the back again so I made a box that would go under the seat. the box is 1.38 gross and 1.15 net volume tuned to 30hz.

I also put some sound deadener on the back wall and floor

September this year: I wasn't that satisfied with the way my first box sounded so I made a new one with a little different port.

October: i bought an iPad mini and started working on a dash.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1415054949.316963.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1415054983.648521.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1415055014.623611.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1415055053.992721.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1415055086.187398.jpg [/IMG]
during this time I was trying to get my truck ready for SESM. I bought a sundown SAZ-1200d to power my SA8, ran 0gauge to the amps, bought 6 2600 farad, 2.7 volt ultracapacitors that wired in series have the ability to charge to 16.2 volts. These capacitors should handle about 90% of my amps that my sub amp is drawing.
insert pics ImageUploadedByAG Free1415054601.673560.jpg
ImageUploadedByAG Free1415054725.907810.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1415054778.364446.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1415054816.325029.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1415054841.579199.jpg
I also plasti dipped my wheels black
ImageUploadedByAG Free1415054540.364151.jpg
I got everything installed (0 guage, amp, caps, dash, etc the night before I left for SESM.
That's all for now. I still need to carpet the front and sides of the box and clean up wiring. Thanks to everyone on here for all of your knowledge and insight!

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Great work with the interior -- a lot of innovative ideas and good attention to detail. Looks good.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am digging the dash bezel! Great job on the fab work.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So pretty big update here. I've been doing a ton of work on my audio system over the past few months, and have finally decided to post some of this up. About mid November I got a steal of a deal on a Sundown sa-18 which really sparked this rebuild...

Building the box went really slow cause of work and other stuff so I'll wait to post pics at the end. Meanwhile I bought new front door speakers which I went with prv audio midbass 6.5s and also bought new tweets which are mclaren audio bullet tweets, all powered by a sundown audio sax125.4.

while I had everything torn apart I went ahead and ran new speaker wire
I took the carpet out to clean it and while it was out I put about 40sq ft of deadener on the floor, 15 on the back wall, 20 on the roof and a few in each door.

I replaced my stock alt with a 220 amp alt to support my power demands and also bought a kinetik hc1800 for under the hood.

to hold the battery i fabbed up a battery sleeve out of 16ga steel and painted it to match everything else

while all this was going on I was working on getting my box built. the box is 6.2 cubes net (~9ft gross) 6 4" aero ports tuned to 32hz. I also built a false floor to sit the box on and bolt down to the stock seat bolts. that's all for now... I'm just waiting on some time to take the box back out and paint it, and just clean some wiring and stuff up!

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx79/bedds_94/Mobile%20Uploads/07CDD3C5-D497-4623-9242-3F9894D832D3_zps1kowhm4p.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So been really busy lately and haven't had any time to work on the truck... but I did get to finish the false floor that the box sits on! ImageUploadedByAG Free1429204499.833235.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1429204515.983327.jpg

hopefully I'll have time to work on getting the box painted and back in the truck this weekend!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
also the kinetik hc1800 that I bought ended up being defective, so I got a brand new hc1800 blu under warranty! here's a pic with the battery and holder installed along with the new sky high car audio battery terminals! ImageUploadedByAG Free1429217188.336521.jpg ImageUploadedByAG Free1429217234.418969.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
thanks man. I really appreciate it!!
No problem! I really love the center console. Sometime this center I am planning on building one that is sealed so I can have an 8" sub on each side in the back section.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No problem! I really love the center console. Sometime this center I am planning on building one that is sealed so I can have an 8" sub on each side in the back section.

yeah if I didn't have a bench up front I would have made a console that goes all the way back with a sub in it. butttt I probably wouldn't have the setup that I have now. haha

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
yeah if I didn't have a bench up front I would have made a console that goes all the way back with a sub in it. butttt I probably wouldn't have the setup that I have now. haha
But...you probably would have made something cool anyways haha? I do computer repair for a guy in my hometown who is a burn victim survivor. He does really cool wood working and sells jewelry boxes ( his site ) and I think I want him to make me a center console. It would really make him happy to have a project and I would love to have a nice center console, as I am better at metal working than wood working.

Sorry if I stole your thread I just thought it was cool to bring this up.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
haha. it's cool man. but that guy does really awesome stuff. I'm sure whatever he does for your truck would be awesome!!! it takes real talent to do that kinda work with just raw wood. just about anyone can make something with fiberglass and bondo (and a little bit of patience) haha

1 - 20 of 65 Posts