Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck has been acting weirdly AGAIN. I put on about 50km (32 miles) since last fill up and the fuel gauge has already dropped 1/8 of a tank. I have been having this problem for one and a half months now, the gauge needle will just keep dropping like crazy (after 120km (80 miles) or so, the gauge sits at 1/2 tank position) and it will kinds stop dropping at 3/4 tank position for a while until I put on about 300km (200 miles). Then it starts to drop again. The mileage has been bad, 15 MPG on average. I know some of you might say "hey, what you expect, you drive a truck, or I am lucky if I can get 15 MPG". That's not the point, my point is my truck has been getting 18 MPG consistently and 15 MPG tells me there is something wrong with the truck. I just don't know what. No CEL though.

I use Mobil 1 oil, clean tb regularly as well as the MAF,air filter. I have also dumped at least 4 bottles of injection cleaner and seafoam in the tank since the problem occurred, and that didn't help either.

Could it be the EVAP system? or the purge valve? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think the poor gas mileage probably has something to do with the upstream O2 sensor. But what about the gauge needle?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Cold weather makes the motor use more gas nothing anyone can do about it. Are you running larger than stock tires and had the ecm calibrated for them? That's going to be a big factor. My gas mileage goes down 2-3 MPG in the winter. Also my gas gauge is similar and has been since new. It would be a good thing to swap your o2 if the current one has over 40k on it.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Well next time is does it....top off, check your mileage.

That should let you know if its the cluster or you have a drivetrain issue.

I know this week my temp gauge started acting up. Even with the truck off the temp gauge will not drop below the half way point. It now operates from the half way to all most to the top of the gauge now.

Thankfully I have a scan guage II to monitor my temps

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am at 60miles and the fuel gauge is sitting almost at 1/2 way mark. so I doubt it caused by winter fuel.

Good idea 1BADI5, I will top it off to see if it's the gauge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts