Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying new gears for my 05 canyon. I've heard the lowest they made for our trucks was 4:10s but seen Yukon gears in 4:11s for 7.6ifs front diff and 8.0 rear diff which is what I have. Anyone else have any input? And where to buy the gears? And find them on Internet but no where to actually order them?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Premium Member
6,573 Posts
If you are going to spend a lot of $$$ on the two axles from 3:73 to 4:10/11 it may not be worth your time. I know you make these threads often but I don't recall your tire size.
The differences between the two gear ratios are close enough that the $400 per axle (at a shop) may not be worth the money.

· Registered
440 Posts
Correcting your axle ratios is the only way to correct for taller tires. On paper its only a 10% change, but it makes a high difference when towing, and on the highway it'll put your truck back in its power band. I went to 4.10s and it was the best money I've ever spent on my truck.

· Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now I'm running 35s with 3:73s. I'm gunna do the gear swap myself. It's not a very hard thing to do. But in a couple years I plan on swapping to 1/2 axles front and rear on 37s-40s and swapping a manual transfer case and making it more of a trail truck but right now with it being one of my main vehicles. I can't have it out that long. It's almost to long not driving it all winter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Premium Member
6,573 Posts
If you are going to do it yourself then you can see a little benefit I'm sure. I thought you had 35's but wasn't sure if you were still trying to fit 35's. 410's will help but it's still gonna be dogish until you can build it up properly.
As for doing the work, the most difficult part is setting up backlash isn't it. I have never done one but know vaguely what is involved. That as well as the torque required for the pinion turning torque.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.