Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I bought that G80 from ebay. Recieved it toaday everything looks f'n great.
I have I5 4wd and automatic,some mods, and 3.42's. Looking to go to 4.10's. I checked GM and they are close to a grand for install kits and gears. I searched the web and came across Randy's Ring&Pinion. He is around 650.00 for everything.
I don't know if any of you guys had made this swap or have any other routes I can go through. I think I can install them myself(maybe some tuner can come over for a few beers and we could document it). Has anybody paid to have this done? Thoughts and suggestions welcome.;)
Mark

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
yukon gear makes 4.11's, they shouldn't be any higher than $250

oh and if you've never done a gear install, dont do it. You need a few special tools and a lot of know how to set them up properly.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yukon, Thats where I got Randys name from. I'll check some others. I would think they would be about the same. I have installed gears before just not on a 4x4 like ours. I would like to have it done so I have no worries. If it's going to be close to a grand then I'll just put the locker in and go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I didn't realize you have a 4x4...that will get expensive since you have to do front and rear.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
yukon gear makes 4.11's, they shouldn't be any higher than $250

oh and if you've never done a gear install, dont do it. You need a few special tools and a lot of know how to set them up properly.
:true: its pretty complicated with the backlashing and junk

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
only the Z71's came standard with the locker, a Z85 4x4 didn't have them standard.
You would think they would come with a locker. Going to call around here and see what I can find. It shouldn't be this difficult. Not to many people carry the 8". All the prices for gears and install kits are within $10-15.
MED

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, I bought that G80 from ebay. Recieved it toaday everything looks f'n great.
I have I5 4wd and automatic,some mods, and 3.42's. Looking to go to 4.10's. I checked GM and they are close to a grand for install kits and gears. I searched the web and came across Randy's Ring&Pinion. He is around 650.00 for everything.
I don't know if any of you guys had made this swap or have any other routes I can go through. I think I can install them myself(maybe some tuner can come over for a few beers and we could document it). Has anybody paid to have this done? Thoughts and suggestions welcome.;)
Mark
you know your going to destroy some parts if you dont change the ratio in the front as well right?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
you know your going to destroy some parts if you dont change the ratio in the front as well right?

The $650 he quoted sounds to me to be both sets of rings and pinions.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I realize that. That price is for front and back with install kits. Still haven't made up my mind. Going to throw the locker in for now and wait for a while.
3.42's do suck though.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
see my 04 z85 has the locker with 410 gears and i freakin love it but when the locker kicks in she wont roll the tires she just grabs and goes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts