Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While takin pics of the handle progress, I snapped a few of my work to share. Here's a walk through....

The shop is shaped like "U". To the left of this pic is the office, the door on the left is one of 2 doors to the body shop, the door on the right is to the paint shop. To the right of the paint shop is a parts room....

And to the right of the parts room is Detail..

Paint Shop..(2 booths)

Body Shop..

One of the 6 frame racks we have. But this is the oldest. The others are identical and more modern..

And while I was gone, the owner made an aquisition. For years he had been trying to buy this HUGE machine shop behind his shop for expansion. Well, he finally got it. Right now it's mostly for storage. Not even kidding, and you'll see from the pics, you can probably fit close to 100 cars in this place. There was a big hail storm before I left so there was 2 dent repair companies working out of the shop, now they're back in this new building too.

Standing in this spot you can see a door to the left. That one leads to offices, bathrooms, tool crib, etc...

Looking through that door....

In that same spot, looking through the door to the right..

In that pic, you can see how you can make a left after that Explorer and there's another section. Here's that section..

And back at the 1st spot, if you turn to the left, here's the biggest part of the shop. I'm working out of a section here because there's no room for me in the regular shop.

Works out Nice though because notice those DirecTV Vans, and remember that hail storm? My girlfriend works for DirecTV so she brings all the Vans to my shop and I fix ALL of them. I have to put new roofs and hoods on 2 of those vans this week!!! Should be a good ass time. haha. But it'll be nice having all this room to do them, and the jobs pay really good.

Here's 2 random shots...Lancer EVO all smashed up.

And me next to the Owners $100+K M5....*DROOL*

Hope you enjoyed the tour!!

M

·
0 Posts
Cool. I didn't know you were a body man. Kinda crazy that they undercoat and do bodywork/paint in the same building. Fisheye nightmare.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who does? lol

What do you mean by "undercoating"? We use just regular cans of it sometimes on spots. And detail uses it to black out wheel wells. But we don't do ENTIRE vehicles the way those Special Undercoating Companies to.

And the funny thing about that new building, is since it was a Machine Shop.....EVERY SQUARE CENTIMETER is COVER in OIL!!! Walls, ceiling, floor, pipes, etc.....everything. I don't know how he plans to clean it up but there's NO WAY anyone could ever paint back there the way it is now.:econo:

M

·
0 Posts
While takin pics of the handle progress, I snapped a few of my work to share. Here's a walk through....

The shop is shaped like "U". To the left of this pic is the office, the door on the left is one of 2 doors to the body shop, the door on the right is to the paint shop. To the right of the paint shop is a parts room....

And to the right of the parts room is Detail..

Paint Shop..(2 booths)

Body Shop..

One of the 6 frame racks we have. But this is the oldest. The others are identical and more modern..

And while I was gone, the owner made an aquisition. For years he had been trying to buy this HUGE machine shop behind his shop for expansion. Well, he finally got it. Right now it's mostly for storage. Not even kidding, and you'll see from the pics, you can probably fit close to 100 cars in this place. There was a big hail storm before I left so there was 2 dent repair companies working out of the shop, now they're back in this new building too.

Standing in this spot you can see a door to the left. That one leads to offices, bathrooms, tool crib, etc...

Looking through that door....

In that same spot, looking through the door to the right..
If you look at the walls in these pics, it looks like undercoating on the walls. You're right, painting in here would be next to impossible. It looks like a really nice, spacious shop though. Tons of possibilities.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea that's oil! haha

Honestly, the shop is WAY to big. We're busy but not THAT busy to where we need to expand into something of that size. Hell, he could up and move the entire operation to this new building if he wanted to. Body Shop, Paint, parts, detail, offices, all of it. But ah well, it's his money....

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
wow big show..

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Looks cool, some nice cars in there.

They actually make a special paint for industrial applications that will stick to ANYTHING. You can paint right over that oily shit that's on the walls. They repainted the walls/ceiling at my work last year, and they didn't really clean anything first. I work in a machine shop that would probably compare to that one in size.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's cool! Do you know what kind of paint it is? Could you get any info on it? Maybe I'll run it by him.....

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't! lol

The new building is $4,000/mo to lease, and he's buying it after a year. Right now the dent co's are basically paying for it. We get a % of each job they do and they do ALOT of cars. But again, we're not super duper busy so I don't know how he's gonna pay for it when they're gone!

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
That's cool! Do you know what kind of paint it is? Could you get any info on it? Maybe I'll run it by him.....
No, honestly I don't. They hired a company to come in and do it all, they sprayed it on and it stunk but it only took them a couple weeks to do the whole shop and it's pretty large. I'd imagine there'd have to be a company in your area that specializes in painting stuff like that, but I wouldn't know where to begin looking.

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gotcha. I'll tell him that this can be done anyway, and if he wants to pursue it, he can on his own time.

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
noice

1 - 16 of 16 Posts