Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM Issues Stop Sale on 2016 Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon

General Motors has identified an issue with the front airbags on their 2016 Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon and Chevrolet Malibu vehicles. From a statement released by GM, “the second stage of the driver frontal airbag may not deploy properly in certain high-speed crashes.” GM went further to state that “The supplier of the potentially faulty airbag module isn’t Takata.”

At this point, General Motors has issued a stop-sale and started a recall campaign for all affected vehicles. The recall impacts 1,579 vehicles in the US with a build year of 2016.

If you currently own one of these vehicles we encourage you to contact your local dealers for more information. By law, GM cannot let their dealers sell any vehicle with an open recall campaign which hasn’t been fixed yet. Once dealers complete the fixes to the vehicles on their lots, they can begin to sell those vehicles again.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
This is why I wouldn't buy a new model during the first year of production. It best to wait for the refinements in the later years.
Huh?

They started building the new model in late 2014. This recall only affects vehicles built in 2016, well over a year since production started.

I agree with your thought though. I would be hesitant to buy the first model year of a vehicle. Second year, I would typically worry less.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
I bought my Colorado in 2004.... I know buying a first model year is a crap-shoot, I guess I lucked out in the deal.... 12years later still going strong

·
How d'ya like them apples
941 Posts
I bought my Colorado in 2004.... I know buying a first model year is a crap-shoot, I guess I lucked out in the deal.... 12years later still going strong
Yeah I hear, no complaints with my 2015 so far

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Did not second guess my decision to buy a 2015 Colorado for a second... Love the truck !!!
Had 2 recalls... First was to check seat bolts... No action needed on those... Electronic power steering .... Software update on that issue.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Simple fix...don't get in a wreck...;) :D

JK, I'm sure this is a slam-dunk recall/fix for current owners and then the lines will roll again. GM made the right call...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I purchased a Canyon Crew SLT with about every option so the chance of failure was there with alll the electronic goo-gas. Two trips to Texas to hunt hogs (4200 mi round trip each, 24.6 avg mileage) and over a year's driving (16000 on the odometer) have resulted in zero problems other than the minor recalls. This is my third Canyon and all three have been trouble free...

·
Registered
25 Posts
As a follow up, I have 22,000 on the clock and zero issues with the truck. I have a new Denali on a train somewhere heading my direction to replace my " worn out" 2015. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts