Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to ID a little GM V8 I've been staring at in my shop for about 15 years. It's. sitting on a pallet and I think my dad horse-traded for it before he passed and I have no idea what it is. A Google search has turned up nothing. I think at one time he said it was out of a Buick. I suspect it's out of a late 80s - early 90s car - but I'd be surprised if it was trans-mounted - just looking at it (but I could be wrong). It also looks to have factory headers (although they are almost comically small bore). In fact, the engine is so small that for years I assume it was a little V6 - then I looked closer.

I wish I had some pics but I only took a pic of the ID plate. It looks to be an aluminum block and a casting number 168452. At the back of the engine on the driver's side, right on the side of the trans mounting flange, there is a riveted id plate with "*6L4250643" ( the asterix is the actual first character). It looks to have a throttle-body-mounted single injector-jet setup. It also has black-ribbed valve covers that I suspect are factory. It looks to have had a serpentine belt setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to know if it's worth playing with (are there aftermarket intake and front-dress parts) or should I move it along.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm trying to ID a little GM V8 I've been staring at in my shop for about 15 years. It's. sitting on a pallet and I think my dad horse-traded for it before he passed and I have no idea what it is. A Google search has turned up nothing. I think at one time he said it was out of a Buick. I suspect it's out of a late 80s - early 90s car - but I'd be surprised if it was trans-mounted - just looking at it (but I could be wrong). It also looks to have factory headers (although they are almost comically small bore). In fact, the engine is so small that for years I assume it was a little V6 - then I looked closer.

I wish I had some pics but I only took a pic of the ID plate. It looks to be an aluminum block and a casting number 168452. At the back of the engine on the driver's side, right on the side of the trans mounting flange, there is a riveted id plate with "*6L4250643" ( the asterix is the actual first character). It looks to have a throttle-body-mounted single injector-jet setup. It also has black-ribbed valve covers that I suspect are factory. It looks to have had a serpentine belt setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want to know if it's worth playing with (are there aftermarket intake and front-dress parts) or should I move it along.

Cheers.
The way you describe the engine, reminds me of a late 60's to early 70's Buick Gran Sport. It was a 455 v8, 4bbl with a 4 speed tranny. Had one, totaled it racing on country roads.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Another possibility, though the time frame seems wrong, is that it is an aluminum small bore V8 that was used in the 70s (I think). Think tooling was sold in the 80s for use in Range Rovers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the replies. Thank you for taking the time. After extensive research, we've figured it's a Cadillac HT 4100 engine. Possibly the worst V8 GM put out. And as such it's living its best life as a doorstop in my shop.

Cheers,

·
Registered
61 Posts
Strip it down, have the block cleaned and turn it into a coffee table. That way you could at least get some use out of it, beings it’s too big for a door stop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts