Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've been lurking these forums for awhile. I have run into a bit of a snag while doing my stereo upgrade. I have been installing car audio since 1996 and this isn't the first OnStar/GM adapters I have wired up.

My truck is a 2011 2.9 Crew Cab. I purchased a Sony XAV-65 (double-din) headunit and a GMOS-01.

So I have the entire harness wired up and soldered.

16-pin harness:

Red - there are 2 red wires on this. I have one connected to the red of the headunit harness. The other is capped.

Orange/White - connected to O/W on headunit harness.

White - Left front positive on headunit harness.

White/Black - left front negative on headunit harness.

Gray - right front positive on headunit harness.

Gray/Black - left front negative on headunit harness.

Brown - Mute. Headunit doesn't have this wire, so this is capped.

Light Green - Run to the parking brake wire.

Blue/Pink - VSS/Speed Sense. Not using this, so capped.

Green/Purple - Reverse wire. Capped.

From the 24-pin harness:

Yellow - to yellow on headunit harness.

Black - to black on headunit harness.

Blue/White - Antenna turn on wire. Capped for now.

Green - left rear positive on headunit harness.

Green/Black - left rear negative on headunit harness.

Purple - right rear positive on headunit harness.

Purple/Black - right rear negative on headunit harness.

Black/Yellow - ghetto OnStar volume adjustment wire. (Capped for now)

12-pin harness for steering wheel controls:

The instructions say to cut the White/Green, Green/Orange, and Orange/Green wires. I did that. But I also do not have steering wheel controls, so this harness isn't connected or plugged into anything.

OK, so I got everything wired up and plugged in, but when I turn the ignition on, nothing happens. The stereo does not turn on. The fuse is good. When I connected the harnesses, it gave a few chimes. The stereo will not come on.

I checked the voltages and I am getting 12v constant on all of the yellow wires. The 2 red wires out of the 16-pin harness are not getting ANY power whether the ignition is on or off.

After double and triple checking all of the wiring and going over it checking voltages, I finally just ran a wire from another switched 12v source to turn the stereo on.

Now the stereo works properly, but all of the features this harness is supposed to add/retain do not work.

The OnStar doesn't play through the speakers.

The bluetooth doesn't work.

The door chimes do not work.

Does anyone have any advice or troubleshooting ideas? I am baffled at this point and my only thought is that the harness is shot. I would prefer to get this working without spending more money, but if it comes down to it I will buy a different harness and try it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Administrator
6,653 Posts
Onstar and your door chimes wont play through the speakers. You're supposed to supply an additional external speaker which onstar will play through that.

When I installed my GMOS-01, I used some extra tweeters from my component set as my onstar/chime speakers:

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
On-Star and the Door Chimes should play through the door speakers if you are not using an external amp.

With an external amplifier you need to supply a speaker(s) (SP-2003) for the On-Star and Door Chimes.

This is the SP-2003 speaker described in the installation instructions, but any small speaker will work.

Here's the installation manual for the GMOS-01. Check you connections and ensure you have it connected correctly.
http://metraonline.com/files/products/INSTGMOS-01.pdf

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I tried the GMOS once. I ended up returning it, it was not working properly. When I opened the driver door, no music from that door. Chimes played through the speaker though. Everything seemed to work, except for music when door is open. Note, my truck does not have Onstar.

I have the GMRC product now. I would prefer the GMOS so that chimes played through the door.

You said you have one of the red wires unused.....how come?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On-Star and the Door Chimes should play through the door speakers if you are not using an external amp.

Here's the installation manual for the GMOS-01. Check you connections and ensure you have it connected correctly.
http://metraonline.com/files/products/INSTGMOS-01.pdf
This is exactly how I have it wired up and without any external amps. This was just a simple headunit change out while I plan the rest of the audio out. But yes, the 2 red wires, neither has switched power and none of the chimes/bluetooth/OnStar are playing through the door speakers.

Has anyone used any of the other harnesses on Crutchfield? Like the RP5-GM11 or the SOOGM-15?

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts
The only purple wires on any of these harnesses are Purple and Purp/Black for a speaker.

Hmm maybe the wire colors have changed? Either case we need to find out if the BCM to CM data bus is connected.

What year is your truck?

·
Registered
8 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's still purple = Class 2 serial bus wires.

OK. Yes, those 2 connect to Pink wires on the GMOS-01 harness. There is 1 pink wire jumpering A1 or A2 to another pin. I'm not sure which one it is without it in front of me. Then another Pink wire runs from A1 to the 14-pin harness and another Pink wire splits off of it before the 14-pin harness and goes into a 12-pin harness to be used for the steering wheel controls (which I do not have).

Here's a pic:

So the question is where SHOULD those 2 wires go to on the GMOS-01?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took everything out again last night and double-checked the wiring. Everything is wired up right. As for the 2 data lines.

A1 has a wire running to the GMOS-01 (pin 6 I believe, on the 14-pin connector) and also has a wire coming off that wire to go to the 12-pin connector for the steering wheel controls which I do not have. A1 also has another pink wire that connects it to A2.

So the 2 data wires are jumpered and 1 wire feeds from there to the GMOS-01. Still, no chimes, OnStar, or Bluetooth, and no switched power coming off either red wire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to update the thread. I returned the GMOS-01 and purchased a PAC RP5-GM11 RADIOPRO4 for $110 off of eBay. Honestly, I should have done that from the start. It's a lot better built product, had clearer instructions, and was a ton easier to wire in. Now I have chimes, bluetooth, and OnStar.

·
Administrator
8,939 Posts
Just to update the thread. I returned the GMOS-01 and purchased a PAC RP5-GM11 RADIOPRO4 for $110 off of eBay. Honestly, I should have done that from the start. It's a lot better built product, had clearer instructions, and was a ton easier to wire in. Now I have chimes, bluetooth, and OnStar.

Glad to hear you got it fixed!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts