Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My rule is out with the dexcool, in with Peak. Buy the straight stuff, mix with distilled water yourself. Over the decades I have learned if you stay with dexcool, you will be changing more radiators, water pumps, thermostats, and heater cores than if you go with Peak. Zerex is a no go for me also. Dex death is a real occurring phenomenon, so I have better things to do with my time. Besides, I have enough old dex death radiators behind the garage. Oh, and in addition to cores, we now have the plastic end caps to be concerned with, so remove and install hoses at the radiator with great care.
I am also not so in favor of really extensive flushes - get out what you can, refill that amount. Repeat every couple of years. I consider this a "Kinder and gentler" flush, IMHO.
It's your ride, do as you wish, but this works for me year after year, vehicle after vehicle.
Thanks for the perspective. This is my first time using Dex, but I've heard the sentiment you express before. At the same time, I notice many people noting the problem with dex are avoidable if you are aware of what causes them. For now, I've gone with dex and will just keep a close eye on things.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If the radiator is full and the bottle is up to the line and the heat blows hot you are all set for 5 years. Mark down in your log book that if you keep the truck long enough to do this again to change the hoses. Good job.

·
Registered
165 Posts
As for burping the system, when I ran heavy equipment years ago it was required and done by getting things up to temp, find a sharp hill (Or pile of something), and slow down or park facing up on the incline for a minute or so with the engine running and up to temp, then back to the shop and top off the coolant. Sometimes it was a good bit low. I still have that mindset in me, I do my vehicles the same way - just not up on a pile! A good steep hill gets it done, just be sure it's up to temp and thermostat open, and top off if needed. Some old habits are hard to break.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Just to add to this I had issues way back with my 99' s10 dexcool and changed over to Preston green good to mix with any extended life antifreeze and ran that truck over 200k miles before I sold it without any issues. I ran over 100k miles like that without ever having to replace intake manifold gaskets or having a clogged heater core again. Now on my 12' Cruze with water pumps that are prone to leaking I changed pump and antifreeze at 88k miles with Preston dexcool and I'm at 155k miles with no antifreeze issues. I think dexcool of today is no longer a issue it once was. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I agree Dexcool probably has changed over the years, and so has the aftermarket antifreeze. Peak, for example, comes in different formulas and in different colors and states which mix with which. And, to top that, the Peak I have been using for several years is now YELLOW and is rated for 150,000 miles. They even have one type rated for a million miles. This dude explains it pretty well in this video.
Peak

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I hope so cause I did a drain and fill on my truck using Prestone dexcool which is supposedly gm approved last fall.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree Dexcool probably has changed over the years, and so has the aftermarket antifreeze. Peak, for example, comes in different formulas and in different colors and states which mix with which. And, to top that, the Peak I have been using for several years is now YELLOW and is rated for 150,000 miles. They even have one type rated for a million miles. This dude explains it pretty well in this video.
Peak
I personally use the Pink Toyota coolant. It’s still a HOAT coolant but it has a great life, I believe it’s 7 years or 250,000 KM. But all those HOAT coolants are great, tons of corrosion inhibitors.

·
Registered
165 Posts
FYI it's a much better deal to buy the straight stuff and mix it 50/50 with distilled water. The engineers will tell you the distilled water mix is very important - and at 50% to most effectively get the job done. I remember when folks mixed it 60/40 or 75/25, but no mo.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts