Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing for installation of my Street Rod Manufacturing rear disc conversion kit.

I bought new axle bearings (the outboard bearings) and seals to swap them in also.

As I will be there already, how much more work is it to change the axle bearings inboard at the differential housing?

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
It's a big job and requires some costly tools, since you need to remove the differential.
I wouldn't mess with them unless there's something wrong and/or you need to rebuild the differential.

Differential Side Bearings Replacement (8.6 Inch Axle)

Tools Required

J 22912-B Split Plate Bearing Puller
J 8092 Universal Driver Handle - ¾ in - 10
J 21784 Side Bearing Installer
J 22888-D Side Bearing Remover Kit
J 29710 Differential Side Bearing Installer
J 44420 Differential Bearing and Hub Seal Installer

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the differential assembly. Refer to Differential Replacement.

2. Remove the differential side bearings by doing the following:
    • Install the differential assembly into a vise.
    • Install the J 22888-20A (2) and the J 8107-4, over the differential case side bearing bore.
    • Remove the differential side bearings using the J 22888-20A .

Installation Procedure

1. Install the differential side bearings by doing the following:

• In order to protect the differential case, install the J 8107-4 in the case on the side opposite the bearing installation.
    • Install the J 21784 (2), and the J 8092 (1) onto the differential case bearing as shown.
    • Drive the bearing onto the case using the J 21784 or the J 29710 and the J 8092.
  2. Install the differential assembly. Refer to Differential Replacement.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Differential Side Bearings Replacement (8.0 Inch Axle)

Tools Required
• J 8092 Universal Driver Handle- ¾ in - 10
• J 21784 Side Bearing Installer
• J 22888-D Side Bearing Puller Kit
• J 45231 Differential Side Bearing Installer

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the differential. Refer to Differential Replacement.

2. Remove the differential side bearings by performing the following steps:
    • Install the differential assembly in a vise.
    • Install the J 22888-20A (2) and the J 8107-2 (1), as shown.
    • Remove the differential side bearings using the J 22888-20A.
  3. Remove the differential assembly from the vise.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the differential side bearings by doing the following:
    • In order to protect the differential case, install the J 8107-2 in the case on the side
      opposite the bearing installation.
    • Install the J 45231 (2), and the J 8092 (1) onto the differential case bearing as
      shown.
    • Drive the bearing onto the case using the J 45231 (2) and the J 8092 (1).
  2. Install the differential. Refer to Differential Replacement .

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks very much for that..
Looks like a bit of a job.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
If you are having a shop do the work for you I'm sure they can handle it but like Rich says if you are not hearing any noice don't worry about them. Just do the axle bearings and seals.

Hey do me a favor when you do the job or have it done. Let me know if the rear brake line is a standard 37* double flair or is it a metric bubble flair. Going to be doing mine soon and want to get the fitting to mate the s/s flex line to the steel brake line.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a big job and requires some costly tools, since you need to remove the differential.
I wouldn't mess with them unless there's something wrong and/or you need to rebuild the differential.
Thanks sir for the input.
I really do appreciate it.

If you are having a shop do the work for you I'm sure they can handle it but like Rich says if you are not hearing any noice don't worry about them. Just do the axle bearings and seals. ..
OK, you talked me into it.
Just trying to decide what does and does not make sense to do.
And yeah, guess I've posted a few times that I gotta have a shop do it for me.

..Hey do me a favor when you do the job or have it done. Let me know if the rear brake line is a standard 37* double flair or is it a metric bubble flair. Going to be doing mine soon and want to get the fitting to mate the s/s flex line to the steel brake line.
That's the only thing holding me back as it is... I don't know about the brake line and fitting.
Would have had it done today if I had known the answer.
I'm getting hot to trot... got this nifty rear disc kit sitting here taking up space.

And as I am having a shop do it for me (and it's my DD), I gotta ensure I have everything I need before I schedule it with them.

I called Street Rod Manufacturing today to ask if they know, but they're closed 'till Tuesday.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's the only thing holding me back as it is... I don't know about the brake line and fitting.
Would have had it done today if I had known the answer.
I'm getting hot to trot... got this nifty rear disc kit sitting here taking

Good ridge has a kit, part number 14195. You might be able to email them and ask what the fittings are...

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I think the issue is not the thread size as it is 10mm x 1.0 but whether the end of the brake line where it attaches to the wheel cylinder has a tube flair or a bubble flair on it. I think where you will need to adapt is the braided line that came with the kit is SAE and not metric. So you will need to adapt to it.

·
World Traveler
818 Posts
:yeahthat:

It seems to be a part that can be picked up at an auto part store. I will take my lines in that TSM provided tonight and see if I can find the fitting.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Yea I'm going tomorrow and get a fitting for mine. I'll give everyone the size if you like.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea I'm going tomorrow and get a fitting for mine. I'll give everyone the size if you like.
Please do.

I spoke with Skip at Street Rod Manuf. today.
He didn't know. He confirms that you have to shorten the line but he said they had overlooked the difference in fittings when they assembled the kit.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
I ran into similar issues with the SSBC kit. The adapter that they included in the kit to connect the braided lines to the factory hards lines had the wrong threads or flare. (I don't remember which). We couldn't find a suitable adapter that would work so we just bent new hardlines.

Here are the (wrong) brake line fittings that were included in the kit

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I didn't realize you had SSBC on both front and rear.
Wow.

Thanks for posting the pics..
Except now I feel totally inferior.

"I was in the pool !!! "

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I plan to weld mine just inboard of the u bolt myself. What I plan to do Rich is cut the fitting off the existing brake line, shorten to needed length and then re-flair the correct fitting onto the brake line. After I rethought about it I was over engineering it. Need to follow the KISS theory "keep it simple stupid" and it should be just fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts