Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I noticed my rear end bouncing at low speeds and shaking at high speeds. I thought I was loosing a belt so I took it in today. Turns out I was losing one on 2 of the tires. I went ahead and replaced them all with BFG T/As, 31". Also, I'm never buying coopers again. Sure the tires were a few months shy of 5 years, but they had a ton of tread left so they didn't have many miles on them. Drives way better now and looks a far bit better now too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You got five years out of a set of tires and you're complaining? Coopers have such good tread life that the tread outlasts the tires. Happens all the time. 100,000 miles isn't unusual...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had the truck since October. The truck is an 05 with only 53k. I'm guessing these tires had no more than 25k on them. They looked close to new.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did you check the date codes? I gave away a brand new-looking set of tires to a farmer for his wagon because they were way past the safe date and couldn't be trusted on the highwa
y.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
True that. Sometimes warehouses have to sell new tires at blowout prices and label them not for street use because of their age. Regardless of mileage, I wouldn't be complaining if you got 5 years out of them.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
New tires will always make the truck drive better.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I've only owned one set of Cooper branded tires, but I won't hesitate to purchase another set depending on my needs at the time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
July 2010. Four year old tires. Depending on how hot they had got during their lifetime, they could have been ripe for belts coming loose.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Good deal for you on the new BFG's, but I wouldn't dime Cooper out...they are good tires.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I pulled a screw out of one front and patched it, and a nail out of the other front and plugged it. probably time for new tires for me too. Found a good deal on Michellins. Put new LT Michellins on my last two trucks, including 08 Canyon. Prolly put P's on this Canyon.
UPDATE: Ordering set of Michellin LTX MS/2 today. Couldn't find a good deal on Coopers around here anyway.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I just don't understand tire durability entirely. I've never owned a set of tires for their entire life. But with the number of other options out there, I don't see a reason to go back.

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
Tires degrade over time. Coopers are one of the best on the market. I had very bad tread life on the BFG's I bought in the past(not even 30K miles and 2 years) although they performed well while they still had tread.

I definitely wouldn't complain if you got almost 5 years out of them, especially if the vehicle is kept outdoors and had tire shine used on them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts