Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah yes, you know who you are. You have a bolt-over grille right now and you are not digging that old grille showing through. Believe me, I went for months with it like that and just kind of brushed it off. But I finally got sick of it and decided I wanted a cut-out ..without buying a whole new grille that is.

This is what I did:

1. Got a dremel cutter
2. Marked the original pieces of "honeycomb" that my bolts were attached to
3. Went ape shit with the dremel, however making sure to avoid cutting out my marked pieces.
4. Sanded the edges a little bit
5. Attached my grille and realized my brushed aluminum bowtie fell off, guess I am rolling with gold for a little while :mc:

The finished project:

As you can see, I only left the honeycombs needed to mount the grille

I still have a little bit of sanding to do, but it can wait :shrug:

...lol I don't know about keeping that bow tie for long though !

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Ah yes, you know who you are. You have a bolt-over grille right now and you are not digging that old grille showing through. Believe me, I went for months with it like that and just kind of brushed it off. But I finally got sick of it and decided I wanted a cut-out ..without buying a whole new grille that is.

This is what I did:

1. Got a dremel cutter
2. Marked the original pieces of "honeycomb" that my bolts were attached to
3. Went ape shit with the dremel, however making sure to avoid cutting out my marked pieces.
4. Sanded the edges a little bit
5. Attached my grille and realized my brushed aluminum bowtie fell off, guess I am rolling with gold for a little while :mc:

The finished project:

As you can see, I only left the honeycombs needed to mount the grille

I still have a little bit of sanding to do, but it can wait :shrug:

...lol I don't know about keeping that bow tie for long though !
i feel the pain especially when the grill lights are on you can see the honeycomb shit i hate it i might do the same thing! it defiantly looks a lot better!

·
Registered
839 Posts
i NEED to do this ha can you get pictures of the back possibly? Did you just leave like one column of honeycomb when you cut it out for supports?

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
NICE! I will be installing my billet grill tomorrow. It's a cut out design though, but I've been getting nervous about where exactly I'm supposed to trim and whatnot....

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i NEED to do this ha can you get pictures of the back possibly? Did you just leave like one column of honeycomb when you cut it out for supports?
You know how there is 8 screws that hold the grille on? All you really have to do is cut around the honeycombs that the screws are attached to. I left only 8 honeycombs for each screw.

I wish I would of taken more pics, but I photoshopped the basic idea for you. Suprisngly, the grille is pretty sturdy :)

Hehe be ready to sand too man, it will look nasty if you don't !

..and good luck Josue! I want to see how the cut-outs mount!

·
Registered
839 Posts
i will have to do this, this weekend! and take of that darn bug deflector! ha i use it to hide the sticking outness.

·
Registered
306 Posts
pretty sure the canyon doesnt have those because it does not have the bar going through the middle, or maybe i just missed it. what should i keep?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Looks bad ass im goin to do mine soon i hate how the dam thing sticks out a 1/2 inch

·
truck built on Saturday..
5,082 Posts
But it boosts the post count! Lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts