Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i was pulling out of the gas station today, where i live there are a lot of bumps and they have high curbs for water run off so it is kind of a bumpy place to live ,my truck being lowered is not the best ride in the world thinking it might have Jared my terminal lose, i got the reduced power warning and it died on me started right back up but would not run for shit. messed with the battery terminal, tighten and what not, and fixed it as far as i can tell. so my question is has any one had this problem caused by a lose battery terminal or is it something more.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I read the post 3 times to try making sense of it and think I can ask this question.

Did you have wheel hop or increased RPM? I've read a lot about when RPM spikes occur the truck will go to protect mode. Since 'where you live is bumpy and a bad place to live', maybe the bumps go the best of you when either leaving the gas station, or wherever you were when it was bumpy and the RPM spiked.
There are a number of threads with Reduced Power because somebody spun tires jumping out into traffic and the truck protested against it. LOL

Otherwise, there are thousands of threads with electrical issues that are cured with clean grounding blocks and positive battery connections.

I highly doubt that you shook loose a battery connection, but anything is possible. I say it's coincidence that you're back to full power after redoing the connections.

·
Registered
681 Posts
^ agreed this only occurred on my old truck when I had the truck airborne... parked it disconnected the battery terminal let it sit for a few hours came back and all was well... good luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yeah so far no more problems,i am however going to get a new mafs because i keep throwing a code for that. read some were that may be part of it. i could move the battery terminal by hand with very littel efort. thinking i drug coming out of the gas station and made it just loose enuf to fuck me over lol.thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
yeah so far no more problems,i am however going to get a new mafs because i keep throwing a code for that read some were that may be part of it. i could move the battery terminal by hand with very littel efort,thinking i drug coming out of the gas station and made it just loose enuf to fuck me over lol thanks for the help.

Just curious, what code is it you are getting?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont know the number but it says im running rich and or lean. put a cold air intak on there works realy well but about a month after i put it on it gave me a cil, so i had it tested at auto zone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read the post 3 times to try making sense of it and think I can ask this question.

Did you have wheel hop or increased RPM? I've read a lot about when RPM spikes occur the truck will go to protect mode. Since 'where you live is bumpy and a bad place to live', maybe the bumps go the best of you when either leaving the gas station, or wherever you were when it was bumpy and the RPM spiked.
There are a number of threads with Reduced Power because somebody spun tires jumping out into traffic and the truck protested against it. LOL

Otherwise, there are thousands of threads with electrical issues that are cured with clean grounding blocks and positive battery connections.

I highly doubt that you shook loose a battery connection, but anything is possible. I say it's coincidence that you're back to full power after redoing the connections.
sorry if it was confuseing, all of the parking lots for the places around my town are about a foot higher that the road most have a nice slope so it is not as bad getting in and out but some are like driving over a big ass speed bump that just flatins out at the top, drag city .

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Have you tried to clean your MAF Sensor?

The check engine light is probably because of your replacement CAI.

FYI: The use of a couple of periods go a long way man.
Good luck with the fixes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you tried to clean your MAF Sensor?

The check engine light is probably because of your replacement CAI.

FYI: The use of a couple of periods go a long way man.
Good luck with the fixes.
yes i tried to clean it did the same thing. im going to try the new one see how that works, was only 40$ for the acdelco mafs. im having to type this fast im at work and they dont know i can get on the site. so sorry for bad gramer and spelling.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok think i got it fixed. i notices it would only do it with the ac on, this might be a shot in the dark but when i had to replace my battery had to get a used one which was to small only 600 cca and did not fit in right but i had to make it work. got the right battery to day witch is 800 cca, drove the piss out of it with the ac on full blast got nothing. fingers crossed that was it .

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Should be okay, stock battery is only 442 CCA.

The previous battery could have been breaking down internally. Either developing a bad cell or one of the plates could be cracking resulting in a bad internal connection.

The cranking amps are only for cranking. Your battery is still a 12v battery.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
i had this problem once after doing a river crossing... i limped to a safe area, popped the hood, waited about an hour and turned her back on and no problems ever since.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got a new battery and it seems to have done the trick. I also got a diagnostic tool to check for any codes the only one I am throwing is that I'm running rich because of the cold air intake I put on so I think I'm good for now.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I got a new battery and it seems to have done the trick. I also got a diagnostic tool to check for any codes the only one I am throwing is that I'm running rich because of the cold air intake I put on so I think I'm good for now.

just curious, which code are you still getting?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
p0172 i think that is it for now lol .

I put a K&N intake on my 04 I5 this week and fought a P0171 for 3 days. Take it off and put back the factory resonator intake and the code stays cleared. So far unable to find the source of what I tracking as a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I put a K&N intake on my 04 I5 this week and fought a P0171 for 3 days. Take it off and put back the factory resonator intake and the code stays cleared. So far unable to find the source of what I tracking as a vacuum leak.
i think we have to get a tune for them, i don't know for sure but i can tell you mine dose not have any leaks in it. it still runs very well with no lag or sputtering. as for the reduced power mode i was getting im pretty sure it was because of a bad battery.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts