Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

[[Backstory]]
I was using my truck to help empty the hoarding clutter out of my mom's house. I would back my truck up a hill, around the back side in 4WD, then drive on the street for a 30m to the dumpster and unload.

I was usually good about disengaging the 4WD when I got onto the flat part of the yard and street level.

But one time I left 4WD engaged and I was making a hard right hand turn and and I could feel the 4WD biting into the asphalt and I fear I may have damaged something.

[[Symptoms]]
* When driving between 0 and 40MPH, I'll hear this metallic grinding noise coming out of the front right area. If I feather the brake or gas, the noise will go away.

* 4WD engages fine when the noise is not present.

* When the truck is making the grinding noise and I attempt to engage 4WD, it never engages. The 4WD light just blinks indefinitely.

[[Troubleshooting]]
I haven't had time to do much. My first instinct is the jack it up and see if there is any looseness.

This sounds like my issue, but its for an 04 F150, so I don't know.
http://www.justanswer.com/ford/26zjf-ford-f150-4wd-makes-loud-noise-off.html

[[Truck]]
2009 V8 Crew Cab with 70K miles. Stock everything.

[[Solutions?]]
???

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update, its more of a winding noise. And the noise only occurs when I am decelerating. And the noise immediately stops as soon as I feather the gas.

I should have some time tomorrow to take things apart and investigate.

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
First guess is the u joint, but it could be something with the mechanism that the actuator engages in the diff. If it's not the u joint you will see a electric actuator on the axle tube, remove that and the problem is probably in that part of the diff.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Check where the driveshaft meets the transfercase. That cv joint is crap. That's where mine went bad and makes similar noises.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Hello pehenry,

I understand that you are searching for advice from your fellow forum members on how to resolve this vehicle issue yourself. As a customer service representative, I'm not able to provide much in the way of do-it-yourself information, so I'm glad to see forum members are beginning to step in with feedback. If you have any lingering concerns please contact me via private message.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hello,

[[Backstory]]
I was using my truck to help empty the hoarding clutter out of my mom's house. I would back my truck up a hill, around the back side in 4WD, then drive on the street for a 30m to the dumpster and unload.

I was usually good about disengaging the 4WD when I got onto the flat part of the yard and street level.

But one time I left 4WD engaged and I was making a hard right hand turn and and I could feel the 4WD biting into the asphalt and I fear I may have damaged something.

[[Symptoms]]
* When driving between 0 and 40MPH, I'll hear this metallic grinding noise coming out of the front right area. If I feather the brake or gas, the noise will go away.

* 4WD engages fine when the noise is not present.

* When the truck is making the grinding noise and I attempt to engage 4WD, it never engages. The 4WD light just blinks indefinitely.

[[Troubleshooting]]
I haven't had time to do much. My first instinct is the jack it up and see if there is any looseness.

This sounds like my issue, but its for an 04 F150, so I don't know.
http://www.justanswer.com/ford/26zjf-ford-f150-4wd-makes-loud-noise-off.html

[[Truck]]
2009 V8 Crew Cab with 70K miles. Stock everything.

[[Solutions?]]
???

ok so i had a similar issue at slow speed and braking my truck would grind slightly as the front tire went around... long story short a few of my hub bolts don't ask me how had become loosened slightly which caused the hub to not sit tight which caused my slight grinding issue, no wheel jerking no pulling to either side either just caused it to sound like a pos when i went to break.

hope this helps some :ugh: good luck with the problem!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry about being ghost for a few days. I was having password/login issues.

After some sleuthing, I think it is my transfer case. I ordered a used one for 400 bucks. Here is a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-X98RBSWjk

I am going to attempt the transfer case swap next weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It ended up being the transfer case. I ordered one off the internets for about 400 bucks, delivered. I got mostly through the swap when I busted a bolt off in one of the housings. Since I ran out of talent, I has to have a local shop finish the job for me.

I did learn a few things though.

1. If you are having trouble pulling the rear drive shaft out of the output of the transfer case, use a come along connected to the frame to help yank it out.

2. If the front drive shaft is "rust welded" to the output of the transfer case, use a 2x4 section and hammer to bust it off.

If I get some time, I'll take apart the transfer case to see what is broken. But, once I removed the drive shafts, I could spin it freely and it made a clunking noise.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW, is there any way I can edit the title of this thread so I can append it to say (RESOLVED)?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts