Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting yesterday, on my 06 4X4 crew, I get a nasty sounding grinding noise when coasting on the highway. I can recreate it at lower speeds by downshifting and it sounds like it's coming from the middle of the truck. When it happens, the rpm's drop until I give it some gas, in which case the noise goes away and rpm's return to normal. I've so far been unable to recreate the noise when coasting in neutral so it apparently only does it in gear when the engine is slowing down the truck. Is this a typical symptom of a transfer case on it's way out?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update,

Grinding does not occur under acceleration or when maintaining speed but when accelerating to pass or jumping on the gas from a stop, engine revs as normal but truck accelerates much slower than normal ( other cars accelerating at slightly slower rate). And by the way, I don't normally jump on the throttle, just did it to see if the noise occurs under heavy acceleration. Found out it doesn't and heavy on the throttle apparently no longer equates to heavy acceleration...

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Have you checked your universal joints?

Other potential concerns that I can think of related to the sound condition you described is a bad ring and pinion gear or rear wheel bearings.

If it does indeed go silent when not in gear, then maybe the transmission needs to be checked by a reputable transmission shop. They see transmissions everyday and a sort test drive by a pro can probably pinpoint the sound much more quickly than us internet folks can.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Update:

Transfer case engages 4H and 4L. The actuator for the front axle seems to not engage the front axles together. Now, I know I have a previous problem in the front diff and am wondering, if i remove the front driveshaft, diff and axle assemblies, could I drive it while they're off for repairs? Front diff has to be rebuilt, grinding when going from 2-4wheel and verified to be in the front diff. (BTW, this is not the same grinding noise the original post is referring to.)

Basically, the front output shaft on the transfer case has a plate that the front driveshaft bolts to. Is that shaft a solid mount or is it like a slip yolk as on the rear shaft? I'm aware that I may need to leave the axle actuator plugged in and strap it to something to avoid any codes in the tcm.

Is this doable and will it be drivable? This is my only vehicle and if the original grinding noise still occurs, at least I've eliminated those components.

And Fixxer, there is not a carrier bearing, only universals.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you checked your universal joints?

Other potential concerns that I can think of related to the sound condition you described is a bad ring and pinion gear or rear wheel bearings.

If it does indeed go silent when not in gear, then maybe the transmission needs to be checked by a reputable transmission shop. They see transmissions everyday and a sort test drive by a pro can probably pinpoint the sound much more quickly than us internet folks can.

Universals are solid and smooth, it goes silent when I give it gas. Noise only happens when coasting in gear so the engine is slowing the vehicle. I do not drop/manually change gears when driving. Especially since it's an automatic.

·
252,000+ Miles
1,316 Posts
Update:

Transfer case engages 4H and 4L. The actuator for the front axle seems to not engage the front axles together. Now, I know I have a previous problem in the front diff and am wondering, if i remove the front driveshaft, diff and axle assemblies, could I drive it while they're off for repairs? Front diff has to be rebuilt, grinding when going from 2-4wheel and verified to be in the front diff. (BTW, this is not the same grinding noise the original post is referring to.)

Basically, the front output shaft on the transfer case has a plate that the front driveshaft bolts to. Is that shaft a solid mount or is it like a slip yolk as on the rear shaft? I'm aware that I may need to leave the axle actuator plugged in and strap it to something to avoid any codes in the tcm.

Is this doable and will it be drivable? This is my only vehicle and if the original grinding noise still occurs, at least I've eliminated those components.

And Fixxer, there is not a carrier bearing, only universals.

Not sure about drivability, but when you go 4hi/4lo it only engages one wheel as we don't have a locking front diff. You'd need to replace what is there with some sort of e-locker to get both to operate under power.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking it could be the actuator on the front axle because I can feel the motor in it spinning but it doesn't make the clunk when it engages the axle to the wheel. Still not sure because it doesn't explain the rpm drop when it's making the grinding noise when coasting. When the grinding occurs, other than the rpm drop, the 2h button blinks.

Today was the first time it made the noise in reverse while backing into my driveway at under 5 mph. Should've hit the e-brake and kneeled down next to it to pinpoint the source but put it in park out of habit. Can't afford to take it to a shop otherwise I would've done it the first time it was suggested. I was an auto mechanic and still do work here and there but I cannot get the noise to replicate at a low enough speed to tell where it's coming from. When it did it in reverse, I spent almost the next hour going back and forth in my driveway trying to get it to happen again but it never did. 4wd seems to still be working but yet not sure if both front axles engage. Any ideas?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

Found a video on YouTube of an 05 colly with the exact same symptoms. Turned out to be the gears in his transfer case ground down. Someone in the comments had the same problem but it turned out to be the chain.

Does anyone know how involved it would be to replace the gears and chain? Also, would it be a bad idea for me to do it myself having no experience rebuilding one? I know rebuilding a rear axle is an art with all the fine adjustments in gear spacing and not something I would attempt. Is it the same case with the transfer case or is it simple like yank the old guts out, throw in the new, bolt it to the truck, and done. I'm fully capable of an engine swap but this is new territory for me.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Id just replace the whole t-case prob save you some money and pretty straight forward install even for a shade tree mechanic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update:

Found a video on YouTube of an 05 colly with the exact same symptoms. Turned out to be the gears in his transfer case ground down. Someone in the comments had the same problem but it turned out to be the chain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0OwI0wjcjo

Does anyone know how involved it would be to replace the gears and chain? Also, would it be a bad idea for me to do it myself having no experience rebuilding one? I know rebuilding a rear axle is an art with all the fine adjustments in gear spacing and not something I would attempt. Is it the same case with the transfer case or is it simple like yank the old guts out, throw in the new, bolt it to the truck, and done. I'm fully capable of an engine swap but this is new territory for me.

Hey folks.
I am new to the forum.
I'm hoping to follow up on this post, "Grinding noise when coasting", from Drome. I think I have the same problem with my 2004 Canyon 4 x 4. I was curious if the problem wound up being in the transfer case or something else was causing the problem.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, is was the transfer case. Wasn't too hard to replace either. Just a little time consuming. If yours makes the same noise, use the e-brake when parked. Mine got worse while waiting for the new one to arrive and started rolling in park.

When the new one came in, I opened it to check for metal shavings and put new seals in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, is was the transfer case. Wasn't too hard to replace either. Just a little time consuming. If yours makes the same noise, use the e-brake when parked. Mine got worse while waiting for the new one to arrive and started rolling in park.

When the new one came in, I opened it to check for metal shavings and put new seals in it.
Thanks for the follow up and advice Drome. I was finally able to obtain a replacement transfer case and get it installed. Noise is fixed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts