Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
241 - 243 of 243 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Well well well... if it isn't my stupid decisions biting me in the ass AGAIN. The Detroit Axle CV axle inner joints are already going out. I'm still running the badlands lift with the swap but I guess I just had my T-bars too high for too long. I should have just had the salvage yard pull the CV's off when I got the spindles & LCA's. I didn't realize how shitty the aftermarket CV's are compared to OEM. I just thought that "new" would be better than "used" for something like this. But these P'sOS grumble bad when cresting fast bumps and there's now some wiggle between the inner joint and shaft. and a slight tear in a boot. AND a somewhat-constant vibration. shit.

What brand CV's are yall running, or originals from a part-out? or brand new ACDelco? $500 for a set of new Delcos kills me inside. Thanks for any advice!!
I’ve been victim of the siren song that aftermarket cv axles sing.

I now only recommend and use oem cv axles. They are simply better.

I find them used and actually see them cheap on Amazon.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Aftermarket "new" axles have a different design on the inner CV than factory. They are cheaper to manufacture with the different design but have limitations on travel. Which is fine for Karen going to the grocery store. I have seen pics of aftermarket axles binding enough to explode at max droop when wheeling on trails. Very well documented on the H3 sites and pages. Get new OEM or OEM Reman's. I have a set of the aftermarket new axles and they are getting swapped soon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks for the replies! Out of curiosity, I've done a ton of googling to try and figure out exactly what the design difference is between the OEM's and aftermarkets' inner joint and couldn't find anything definitive. Both are plunging tripods, (ACDelco's website specifically states that its a "tripod joint") but I've seen these pictures of 2 different kinds of plunging tripods. One being a "closed tripod design" and the other an "open tripod design." Really can't find any info online about them though. Maybe this is the difference?
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Product Automotive design Font
White Light Product Line Font

The Detroit ones I got have the semi-triangular bell housing like the closed-tripod in the first picture, and most other reman/new aftermarket and the Delcos all have a smooth circular bell housing. I'm close to graduating engineering school so this is all just very intriguing to me.

Regardless, I'm leaning towards picking up the pair of axles off a part-out in the area. It's a bit of a drive, and he won't come down from $150 for the pair, but I'll give them a good look-over and decide. Donor h3 is allegedly stock and has 188k. Should be okay I hope. Freakin Amazon bumped the price of the ACDelcos up from $250 to $280+ this week too...

241 - 243 of 243 Posts