Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I do have a quick question regarding the rear end, for the 3.7L H3's I have found plenty near me to do a complete swap, but do any of the H3's come with the G80 option? Could it be swapped in?

·
Registered
65 Posts
The H3s with a 5.3L come with 4.11 gears....dont think it's a G80 though. Would have to look into it....
G80s kinda suck anyhow

·
Registered
65 Posts
Apparently the bigger H3 rear end does have a variety of real locker options though

·
Registered
65 Posts
My brakes are a little bit squishy, still wayyy better than before. Might need to swap in the H3 brake booster as well. It runs 2 lines to the rear, opposed to our 1

·
Registered
119 Posts
I do know that the ZM6 off road package does have the G94 e-Locker, I just am not sure if it can be operated via a simple switch or not, I am not into opening a huge can of worms! LOL

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I do know that the ZM6 off road package does have the G94 e-Locker, I just am not sure if it can be operated via a simple switch or not, I am not into opening a huge can of worms! LOL
A simple switch should work just fine. I’ve had a front e-locker out of a H3 and it’s a simple 2 wire setup.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quick update
Failed attempt at an alignment. Tie rods still bottomed out (even after cutting inner threads. Going to chop the outer sleeves now and try it again

·
Registered
65 Posts
Alignment is ok now. But having issues with cv joint binding and clicking (replaced drivers side already). CV angle is far from bad, almost straight. Not quite sure what's going on. Might try to use the canyon inner cv joint on the h3 halfshaft

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wondering if you other guys that have done this swap have had any similar issues?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Alignment is ok now. But having issues with cv joint binding and clicking (replaced drivers side already). CV angle is far from bad, almost straight. Not quite sure what's going on. Might try to use the canyon inner cv joint on the h3 halfshaft
What brand CV joints did you use? Mine bound up once, but I'm sure that was because it had a bad angle because it was on the jack-stands still.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm going to do some measuring on my h3 frame tomorrow and see if theres a difference in the width between the LCA mounts

·
Registered
65 Posts
The "tripod" design of the H3 inner cv joint might be tougher, but it seems to bind alot easier

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just cheap Worldparts I think they're called.....
I got autozone ones, they are cheap also. Just figured the Colorado is probably lighter, and only part time 4x4, so didn't need super strong ones. also lifetime replacement...

Also it was really difficult for me to get my passenger LCA in, but i dont think the mounting is different between the 2. The drivers went in first try, lol.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm just wondering if the mounting points from left to right are slightly narrower on our frames, hence the tie rods being a bit long, and maybe the cv axles as well

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm just wondering if the mounting points from left to right are slightly narrower on our frames, hence the tie rods being a bit long, and maybe the cv axles as well
Could you measure the steering racks, because I was thinking the hummers was just shorter.

Also OP must have used a higher quality H3 inner tie-rod, because both of the Napa colorado and hummer ones would have worked for me. I just wanted to save $14. It had 1.5x the diameter of the tierod with the colorado one, so more than 24mm of thread engagement. I read that 1.5x the diameter was the recommended minimum.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts