81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah I'll measure the rack tomorrow, pretty sure they're the same though

·
Registered
80 Posts
So I swapped out my rack for the h3 rack. The h3 rack bolts up just the same, but the inner "tube" in the rack is actually about 1 1/4" narrower, explaining why the h3 tie rods were a bit too long when installed with the 355 rack

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yup but if you notice on Rockauto there are 2 different sized inner tie rod ends so you need to make sure to get the shorter ones

·
Registered
39 Posts
So on the tie rods if you're going to keep the 355 rack run 355 inner tie rods with H3 outers. Or just trim up H3 inners.
ABS just needs the 355 truck side connector spliced on the H3 sensor.
CVs I have Cardone brand aftermarket CVs in mine and the dont bind at all.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Another side note: the little u-joint on my steering shaft was extremely tight to the top post of the front shock, had to trim the post. Also installed the h3 sway bar. The sway bar mounts were a bit bigger, so I just used the rear bolt holes, and welded the front. Everything lines up nice. Just waiting for new tie rods to come in tomorrow, as I chopped mine too short to work with the H3 rack..... then I'll put er to the full test

·
Registered
80 Posts
Obviously still waiting to buy new cv axles haha shits getting expensive

·
Registered
80 Posts
Definitely rides better. And the gearing is wayyy better. I'm happy so far

·
Registered
80 Posts
We'll see if the sway bar helps more, but otherwise it seems less sketchy/fidgety overall. I'll bag it hard tomorrow once shes back together, and let y'all know

·
Registered
1 Posts
EDITED ON 9/16/19... REAR DISC AND H3 DIF SWAP IS POSSIBLE SEE POST #19 FOR THE WRITE UP

Hello i am new on the forum and will be doing a write up on everything you need to swap your front suspension and brake set up to the h3 setup. I did a lot of reading on here before attempting the swap, but based on my reading i am in the first to actually attempt this swap. Doing this swap gives you about 2.5in wider stance, bigger brakes and 4 piston calipers, more travel, and my favorite, non captive rotors lol. Also now after doing the swap my tires no longer rub, (I run 35s with no lift, and before doing the swap even after a lot of cutting, pre runner fenders, and BFH still rubbed quite a bit, especially with 2 inch spacers.) So here is a list of the H3 parts that are needed:
Upper control Arms
Lower control arms
Steering knuckle and hub bearing
inner and outer tie rods
shocks
cv axles (u may want to change the axle seals as well while everything is apart)
upper ball joint bolt
lower control arm hardware (i.e. shock bolt, frame bolt that goes behind the torsion bar, etc.)
pads and rotors
calipers
caliper hoses
sway bar and links and bushings (if you are still running one)

:emoticonwithoutpics:emoticonwithoutpics:emoticonwithoutpics:emoticonwithoutpics:emoticonwithoutpics

i attached all the pics i took during install and also the stance after

A few other things i had to do is cut the bump stop perch off the frame to clear the shocks , im not sure if this is because i went with fox shocks and they have a large shock body so if you go with a more stock shock u may not have to. i also had to change the connector on the h3 abs sensor (my abs light is on not sure if its because the computer cant read the different style sensor or because the sensor r bad being that i got my knuckles with the hub bearing and sensors from a junk yard, so im still working on the abs). I definitely recoment this upgrade, my truck handles and stops much better and i can turn all the way left and right. Also aesthetically, the h3 stuff looks much nicer. Hope this is helpful
what year Colorado and Hummer H3 did you use for this conversion?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I dont believe it really matters. The 3.7 hummers have 4.56 gearing, the 5.3 has 4.11. The nicer models have e-lockers, which are simple to hook up. The frames do not change

·
Registered
80 Posts
I suggest trying to find a salvage H3, that way you have absolutely everything you need, plus more, maybe even a decent motor for swapping. Then once you've taken what you need from it, you can part out the rest and usually make some good coin back

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got my rear sway bar kit installed on my 355 rear axle for now till I do a full rebuild and re-gear on my chev silverado rear axle and custom rear long travel leaf spring setup, then I'll do my H3 front end swap once I've collected all the parts up, also plan to do the rear disc brake conversion.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 104 Posts