Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

161 - 180 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Remember, the h3 lowers are pretty damn beefy. The H3 guys beat on those heavy rigs and dont have problems with lower control arms. It's our front diff that's the real problem

·
Registered
148 Posts
But if you have tons of cash, why not? Lol
I'm just trying to stick with as many easily replaced GM parts as possible

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah I get that lol, and true they are beefy. Its not so much as having tons of cash its I'd rather spend a little more for longevity, but I get what you're saying. What makes our front diff a big issue?

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
What makes our front diff a big issue?
Aluminum. Known weakness in the H3. A few models ended up with a cast iron from differential to stop the issue.

The cast iron diffs are getting more scarce and command a decent price tag when they are found.

18121E0A-CCD5-46B2-9A5E-C8CBBB253963.jpeg

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm still waiting on this dingus to pull these parts for me. I may have to just find them elsewhere

·
Registered
61 Posts
Makes sense, duh part on my end lol hey Native where did you find the internals for that diff? I want to swap in an elocker like that in my axle. Dusty I was looking into shock clamps to unscrew that bottom part of the shock you listed earlier and I only got the type that clamps the external reservoir to the shock

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
hey Native where did you find the internals for that diff? I want to swap in an elocker like that in my axle
I had my local diff guy order my parts from AAM.

Any H3 E-locker and internals will fit the Colorado front differential. The 7.6 front ifs differential is the same. The only difference is the extension tube on the drivers side. If you look around eBay and junkyard websites you may find a H3 front differential already set up with a locker.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sweet, thats ground breaking news for me lol, did you put the hole in the diff for the wires or did your diff guy? Dusty, is the clamp a soft jaw clamp that holds the inner shaft? I'm starting to actually play with the idea of getting a parts hummer 😂

·
Registered
148 Posts
Try to find one with both front and rear lockers, 4.56 gearing, and heated leather seats lol. The clamps are soft jaw maybe? They're specifically sized to clamp the inner tube without damaging them.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Sweet, thats ground breaking news for me lol, did you put the hole in the diff for the wires or did your diff guy?
I did. It was easy. If you install an ARB locker do not follow their instructions. I drilled that hole per their instructions and should have used the existing hole that the e-locker wires went through. I ran into motor mount clearance issues with the air fitting. Needless to say I was angry that I followed their instructions.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Also, I forgot to mention, along with limiter straps, it'd be best to get some hydraulic bump stops in place of our frame rubber bumps

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was looking into those and I was thinking about it, it'd definitely give a nice little bit of cushion at the upper end. Any progress on the frankenspindle?

·
Registered
61 Posts
So I know you recommended the adjustable tubular uppers, my only concern are the helm joints on them. Helm joints are amazing and all until dirt and crap get in them. Did you plan on sealing them some how?

·
Registered
148 Posts
May have to fab up a boot of sorts, and clean them out often. Probably order a few extra sets of heims too

161 - 180 of 190 Posts