Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've finally ordered all of the custom and key components for my H3 swapped Canyon Frankenlift. As parts come in, I'll post pictures, and when everything is here, I'll throw it all together. As it sits, my Canyon has H3 front suspension slightly cranked, with 2.5" skyjacker leaf pack in the rear. Front and rear H3 diffs with 4.56 gears. It's also 3.7 swapped, with a newer 5-speed transmission and a newer transfer case. A few mods include a Supermod tune, ported head, ported throttle body, basically straight piped exhaust, cold air intake, and supersparks.
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Plant Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
ĺ
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

The plan is to use some of my former Skyjacker 4" lift kit, in conjunction with BDS knuckles from a 99-06 Chev 1500
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive exterior Wood

New BDS 4.5" lift knuckles, beside my old 4" Skyjacker knuckles.
I have ordered custom tubular upper control arms from Michigan Metal Works (with Delrin bushings instead of heim joints), 4" H3 torsion bar relocators from RealLift, H3 Rancho 9000xl 4" lift adjustable front shocks, along with 9000xl adjustable for the rear as well (actually made for a Jeep). I plan to run 35" tires, so I went ahead and ordered a Metal Mayhem steering rack mount as well. I also ordered replacement Skyjacker rear crossmember bushings, as well as poly bushings for the lower control arm shock mounts and front mount from Siberian Bushing. I have tried to contact Outfitter Design for some poly front differential bushings, but they are out of stock. I'll run a set of new stock diff bushings for now, and maybe fab up a 5th diff mount to the rear lift crossmember
Some of the parts may take awhile to arrive, especially the custom upper arms, so bare with me.

In the meantime, I'll be stripping down one of my spare 4x4 Canyon frames for sandblasting and paint, as well as painting my old Skyjacker crossmembers, and my old 2" rear shackles. I've ordered the upper arms and relocators in bare metal, so they will need paint as well.
I will also be using a near mint, black 2006 Canyon body I also have sitting out back (pretty tired of this rusty, mustard-yellow heap!)
I also plan to ditch the torsion bars completely for coilovers.....eventually.
Liquid Automotive lighting Coil spring Camera accessory Cylinder

I've found some Fox coilovers for a newer Dodge 1500 that should mount nicely with some modifications made to my upper shock mounts, but I'll access that situation when the time comes.

If all goes well with the crazy mixture of lift parts, which I'm very confident it will (as I've researched this for countless hours/days), I'll be building another one this winter to sell. Hopefully parts start rolling in soon

Cheers for now

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Quick update

I've received most of the parts needed. Rancho 4" lift adjustable H3 front shocks, Reallift 4" H3 torsion bar relocators (built for Rancho lift, Reallift is O.G.), new poly bushings for Skyjacker 4" rear crossmember (from Skyjacker through Jegs), poly bushings for lower front control arms and lower front shock mounts (from Siberian Bushing), BDS Chevy 1500 4.5" lift knuckles (from local 4x4 shop), Metal Mayhem steering rack kit (already installed), and the 7 degree ball joint/tie rod reamer bit (to fit the larger H3 tie rods into the BDS knuckles).

I'm still waiting on the custom uppers from Michigan Metal Works, it could be another 6 weeks yet.....they must be busy.
I have yet to purchase the Chev 1500 hubs, calipers, rotors.....but I'll be grabbing them soon. I also need to find/build new bushing sleeves for the rear Skyjacker crossmember bushings, as they're fairly worn out.

The Frankenlift should come to life well before Christmas.....fingers crossed that it all buffs out!!
I'll post all prices and pictures once I have everything
Cheers

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll definitely have to look into that! Bigger is better

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the custom upper arms finally showed up, and I'm very disappointed. The DOM tubing is much larger than the ones pictured on the MMW website, and even looks bent slightly differently, thus giving me less clearance for coilovers. I may as well opted for the cheaper flat plate design. Also, the ball joint is H3 style, and I ordered Chev 1500 style......so I'm screwed for now. Hopefully they can remedy these issues, and sometime before next Christmas....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will have everything I need within the next week, then its go time!

Also, I've decided to put a regular cab on my extended cab chassis, and then build a badass flat deck. Just need to draw something up.....any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Made some decent progress. So far its looking like I'll need shorter tie rods, and some limiter straps, and slightly longer brake lines

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
H3, but I've got some canyon rods I'll try here today. They're quite a bit shorter

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, the custom upper arms finally showed up, and I'm very disappointed. The DOM tubing is much larger than the ones pictured on the MMW website, and even looks bent slightly differently, thus giving me less clearance for coilovers. I may as well opted for the cheaper flat plate design. Also, the ball joint is H3 style, and I ordered Chev 1500 style......so I'm screwed for now. Hopefully they can remedy these issues, and sometime before next Christmas....
Looks like the uppers they made for you are not adjustable the way they are pictured on their site? I thought they used adjustable heim joints in place of the bushings.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I figured the heims would be troublesome here in Alberta with the salty winter roads, so I ordered them tubular, but with the delrin bushings they have for the flat plate version, they're supposed to be lifetime use. That's why the were made from bigger tubing as well, they said that with fixed ends, they needed to be more robust. I'm not dissatisfied, like I was at first look at them. And they'll still clear coilovers, if I get around to it in the future.
I ended up having to 'extend' my upper control arm mount holes, for more adjustment, as they were at a bad positive camber fully adjusted at first. So I plasma cut the slots, to further push the control arms inward. It actually worked out very well, though I should have ordered the MMW control arms at OEM length in the first place, instead of the 1/2" longer that they build. The alignment shop I use may not be stoked about it haha, cause it will be far more tricky now, but hell, it'll buff out I reckon. I also may need an AAL added to my Skyjacker rear spring pack. They're slightly sagged, and even with 2 1/2" shackles, my rear is an inch lower than where I want my front to be.....I do have an old pool table slab in my box for traction purposes, with the snow, so maybe without it, I'll be good. We'll see.
Otherwise, all I'm waiting on is some new cv axles, and I still need to taper out the knuckles for the canyon outer tie rods.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've decided to throw on some rear air bags from a 2003 Chev 1500. With the rear H3 diff, theres a perfect mount on top, it should be fairly effortless. That way I retain ride height and comfort, but can pump em up when carrying a load of any kind to retain lift. I already have the bags from an old truck, so it'll be free as well

·
Registered
50 Posts
I figured the heims would be troublesome here in Alberta with the salty winter roads, so I ordered them tubular, but with the delrin bushings they have for the flat plate version, they're supposed to be lifetime use. That's why the were made from bigger tubing as well, they said that with fixed ends, they needed to be more robust. I'm not dissatisfied, like I was at first look at them. And they'll still clear coilovers, if I get around to it in the future.
I ended up having to 'extend' my upper control arm mount holes, for more adjustment, as they were at a bad positive camber fully adjusted at first. So I plasma cut the slots, to further push the control arms inward. It actually worked out very well, though I should have ordered the MMW control arms at OEM length in the first place, instead of the 1/2" longer that they build. The alignment shop I use may not be stoked about it haha, cause it will be far more tricky now, but hell, it'll buff out I reckon. I also may need an AAL added to my Skyjacker rear spring pack. They're slightly sagged, and even with 2 1/2" shackles, my rear is an inch lower than where I want my front to be.....I do have an old pool table slab in my box for traction purposes, with the snow, so maybe without it, I'll be good. We'll see.
Otherwise, all I'm waiting on is some new cv axles, and I still need to taper out the knuckles for the canyon outer tie rods.
So the mmw arms come 1/2" longer. They say to account for lift angles i think. But if you had ordered stock length it would have fit better? Did you get the tapered hardware for the ball joint? or are you modifying the knuckle for h3 style?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, stock length would have been better, rather than modifying the upper mounts. They initially sent me the H3 taper by accident, but I got them to send the proper taper.
I have everything bolted up now. The canyon outer tie rods worked perfectly. I just need a wheel alignment now

1 - 20 of 67 Posts