Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Colorado WT 2wd 2.8L automatic transmission. About a year ago it started making a clicking sound sometimes when I hit the brake from the right front area. About 2 months later it started doing it on the left also, not always at the same time. It would make a very loud click when I hit the brakes and usually a 2nd click when I let off of them. I have taken it to a few shops and they say there is nothing wrong. It has progressed to the point now to where it also does it when turning left, sometimes just when I drive at slow speeds, and also when I hit bumps a certain way. Some days it barely does it, or not at all. Some days it does it so much that it drives me crazy. Any ideas on what to check? I had the front end checked again as well as the brakes and they say nothing is wrong. It's not a deep clunk sound, it's a sharp but very loud metallic click sound. I'm guessing it's a common issue and someone else has dealt with it.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
Registered
204 Posts
Did the shops just look or did they disassemble the brakes? I would take the calipers off and check that the pads aren’t sticking then releasing or that the calipers aren’t hanging up on the pins. Make sure the caliper mounting brackets aren’t loose.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Could be upper and/or lower ball joints, upper/lower A-frame bushings, anti-sway bar links..... However, I would suspect shock mounts! When you brake, the frond end dips. I'd start by spraying the shock mounts on the top and bottom and see if that helps. If not, start spraying one ball joint at a time to determine what's going on. There are also little thin metal clips that the brake pads slide onto. You might want to check and see if they are all in tact and not damaged. I would probably check shock mounts first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, my calipers and brake assemblies are rusted real bad so I think the pads are sticking, I'm going to get new brake pads and clean it all up and put new grease on and see what happens, if that doesn't help I will post an update. My ball joints are nice and tight, this is more of a tinny, high pitched click than what ball joints cause.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts