Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did search a bit, but mostly found info on complete cat backs and true duals. I'm wondering if anyone has just replaced the restrictive stock muffler with a high performance muffler and kept the factory pipes.

I don't have my truck yet so I cannot go out and look or measure. What is the factory pipe diameter in front of and behind the muffler? On some of my previous silverados, the pipe in and out were different. Also, is the offset of the inlet and outlet unusual (also a problem on some silverados)?

I'm thinking this would be a nice cheap first mod. I know true duals with an X-pipe would flow and sound even better, but I want to hold off on spending a ton until I get it paid off.

I'm also thinking the factory pipes would flow ok, that mainly the large body muffler is the bottle-neck.

Is this a reasonable way to get a little rumble?

Any suggestions on what muffler to run?

Thanks!

·
pssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
1,999 Posts
this is how i did my exhaust, i bought a flowmaster super 44 and had the muffler shop just cut out the stock one and put this one in, sounds great and it didn't cost as much as replacing the whole exhaust, i added the side out and tip later

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, thanks!

Any chance you have a pic? I'm just wondering how much of a hassle it was to mate up the pipes to the muffler.

·
Boosted V8
1,441 Posts
depends on how you want to run your exhaust but I did a replacement muffler first thing. piping is 2.5" and I believe I went with a center in offset out.

·
Boosted V8
1,441 Posts
are you welding it in yourself? if not just take the truck to an exhaust shop and they'll tell you what you need. shouldn't cost anymore than 400 and thats with the cost of the muffler

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are you welding it in yourself? if not just take the truck to an exhaust shop and they'll tell you what you need. shouldn't cost anymore than 400 and thats with the cost of the muffler
I would have it done. There are a couple exhaust shops in town that will weld it up cheaply enough. I'm a little shocked at the $400 number you are tossing out. I figured more like $200 to just replace the muffler. Or maybe an hours labor if I bring the muffler in...

For $400, I could buy a whole Dynomax cat back and bolt it in. I don't plan on doing that though. I want to do headers and true duals down the road.

·
pssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
1,999 Posts
the guy at my local muffler shop replaced the muffler for 60 bucks and then put on my chrome tip with the pipe to make it come out the side for 20 dollars, so it shouldn't cost that much

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
yeah shouldnt cost more than 200 bucks. i picked up a flowmaster muffler for 100 and took it to a local shop and they welded it in for 40 bucks.

·
Fred Savage
1,607 Posts
yeah I found my flowmaster online for $85 and a local muffler shop welded it in for $50. center in/offset out. 2.5" on both sides

·
Registered
286 Posts
I swapped the factory muffler for a Dynomax Super Turbo. Not too loud at idle, purrs nicely when on the gas. I've always ran these mufflers on my trucks, but i might remove the last set of cats for a little more rumble.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I did a flow master40 3 inch in and out. Got the pipe coming out the back but hidden so it looks super clean. Sounds good outside but not much drone inside with the pipe going all the way back. If you really wanna hear it when you get on it just do a turndown right off the muffler. I used to have that on my s10 and you def heard it all the time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a Flowmaster40 slapped on my 2010 5.3 over two years ago. I just did the muffler as i had plans to do headers later on.

·
Registered
239 Posts
cut original muffler off and installed an slp lm2 with 3 inch pipe after that .....first vid is just idle without the performance intake ..second is a 30 roll i believe was no cats and intake HOPE IT HELPS A LITTLE

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
116 Posts
I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but I replaced my factory muffler with a 40-series flowmaster. The rest of the exhaust is stock. It sounds great, but I kind of wish it was a LITTLE bit louder.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Has anyone done a single super 44? The video on the flowmaster site makes me want to mate with that charger. I don't want to make myself suicidal due to drone on long trips though.

·
Fred Savage
1,607 Posts
Has anyone done a single super 44? The video on the flowmaster site makes me want to mate with that charger. I don't want to make myself suicidal due to drone on long trips though.
not sure about the 44 but I have the super 40 and it droned a bit with the stock turn down. But since then I've gone to a side exit with an exhaust tip and the drone is gone :thumbup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
not sure about the 44 but I have the super 40 and it droned a bit with the stock turn down. But since then I've gone to a side exit with an exhaust tip and the drone is gone :thumbup:
Thanks dude!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts