Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Swapped the factory muffler for a Dynomax Ultraflow VT 17959 (painted flat black BBQ paint)
The pipe going into the factory muffler is 2-3/4" and the tailpipe is 2-1/2"
I had a local muffler shop expand a 1 foot piece of 2-1/2" pipe to fit over the factory 2-3/4" and I just cut it to length when I was happy with the positioning.
I bent and welded a piece of 1/2" rod to the muffler clamp to support the muffler and this rod fits into the factory rubber support.
The 5.3 idles as quiet as it was stock and it is only slightly louder than stock when you jump on it. It is too quiet for my taste and I would use the Ultraflow without the VT if I were to do it again.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Swapped the factory muffler for a Dynomax Ultraflow VT 17959 (painted flat black BBQ paint)
The pipe going into the factory muffler is 2-3/4" and the tailpipe is 2-1/2"
I had a local muffler shop expand a 1 foot piece of 2-1/2" pipe to fit over the factory 2-3/4" and I just cut it to length when I was happy with the positioning.
I bent and welded a piece of 1/2" rod to the muffler clamp to support the muffler and this rod fits into the factory rubber support.
The 5.3 idles as quiet as it was stock and it is only slightly louder than stock when you jump on it. It is too quiet for my taste and I would use the Ultraflow without the VT if I were to do it again.
Thanks. That is just the answer I was looking for, especially the different pipe diameters. I wish GM would stop with that...

I have been looking at the Dynomax mufflers. Maybe I'll stay away from the VT if you think it is to mellow. I was a bit worried about that part rusting and failing anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am way late to this thread but thought I'd add my 2 cents as I am new to this forum. I have a 2009 5.3L Z71. It's all stock (3"pipes si/so) except for the Dynomax Ultra-Flo I had installed. At idle, it's a tiny bit louder than stock. When you get on the gas it's fairly loud, and at highway speeds there is hardly any noticeable drone. I was really fighting whether to take it off and put a Flowmaster Super 40 on it instead, but I think I'm gonna wait until the fiberglass packing breaks down...although that could take awhile.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I swapped the factory muffler for a Dynomax Super Turbo. Not too loud at idle, purrs nicely when on the gas. I've always ran these mufflers on my trucks, but i might remove the last set of cats for a little more rumble.
Here is a quick clip of a few rev's with this muffler.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
i have a super 44 in the canyon
got it for freeeeeeee

·
Registered
160 Posts
cut original muffler off and installed an slp lm2 with 3 inch pipe after that .....first vid is just idle without the performance intake ..second is a 30 roll i believe was no cats and intake HOPE IT HELPS A LITTLE
thats sounds exactly how i want mine! Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a magnaflow with stock pipes. Been on a year and I'm not happy with the idle volume. It's to quiet.
The guy at the shop said I could go with a 3 inch out and a 4 inch tip and get a little more low note at idle. Sound right?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Its not a V8 but I replace the factory muffler with a Magnaflow and sounds great on my 2.9L. Better fuel economy from the first day!. $214 total including the muffler. 30 minutes at the shop.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Yea I replaced the just the muffler about a year back! I'm not happy with either! However I had a V8 Colorado in the shop a couple days ago n it sounded amazing! Turns out everything was factory except for it didn't have a muffler lol, just had a pipe bent and welded in its place lol! Sounds nice deep n throaty the way V8 should!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know its been done but I'm getting a flowmaster super 44 welded in tomorrow as my first mod so I'm in the same boat as you. The most restrictive thing in the exhaust system are the cats. There's a few videos on youtube of guys running various aftermarket mufflers with the stock exhaust setup otherwise. Check them out so you can get an idea on the sound a particular muffler makes. Our trucks exhaust piping is 2.5", and depending on your model the inlets/outlets might be different so I recommend crawling under the truck and looking at it to be sure.

·
RIP Forrest
12,421 Posts
i had a super 40 welded in place of the stock with all stock piping, made a small difference in sound, then added air intake and you could hear a difference, then eventually ditched the cats, so on and so on and now it goes to a straight 4" pipe no muffler, no cats, sounds a lot like a diesel

·
Registered
160 Posts
Had a Magnaflow XL Turbo muffler installed yesterday. All stock piping, cats, etc. stock piping was 3"in 3"out. Sounds nice and deep at idle and take off. Quiet at cruising speed, but noticeable when you get on it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

·
Spoolin Jr. Survivor
6,613 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds good! Thanks for the video.

Just curious, why did you go w the oval muffler as apposed the the round?

I am considering this one:
MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

Did the exhaust shop just expand the stock pipes to make it fit?
It was a simple cut the original muffler off and weld the new one in. The original muffler inlet is offset and the exit is offset to the opposite side. That's why I went with an oval muffler, kept it simple.

No pipes were expanded because the stock piping on mine was 3" both in and out of the stock muffler. I checked & double checked before I ordered the muffler.
that would sound nice but I would suggest true duals with 2 of these and with 2.5" inlets/outlets for the most performance to go with that sweet sound.
I kept the original piping because I like that it's just a turn down. It being 3" was just a plus. The duals out the back and even at an angle behind the wheel is just played out IMO. To each their own I guess.

Duals may be better for performance, but I just wanted a little more sound.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
that would sound nice but I would suggest true duals with 2 of these and with 2.5" inlets/outlets for the most performance to go with that sweet sound.
If/when I do headers, true duals would be a natural choice.

For now a sub $200 muffler replacement should get me some rumble and tide me over.

·
Spoolin Jr. Survivor
6,613 Posts
If/when I do headers, true duals would be a natural choice.

For now a sub $200 muffler replacement should get me some rumble and tide me over.
Save your money to do the true duals and headers with these mufflers. Why spend $200 on something that will be changed when you can put $200 towards something that will be long term. I think of it as money saved rather than blown.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts