Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Spoolin Jr. Survivor
6,613 Posts
It was a simple cut the original muffler off and weld the new one in. The original muffler inlet is offset and the exit is offset to the opposite side. That's why I went with an oval muffler, kept it simple.

No pipes were expanded because the stock piping on mine was 3" both in and out of the stock muffler. I checked & double checked before I ordered the muffler.

I kept the original piping because I like that it's just a turn down. It being 3" was just a plus. The duals out the back and even at an angle behind the wheel is just played out IMO. To each their own I guess.

Duals may be better for performance, but I just wanted a little more sound.
I don't like seeing the exhaust either but you can still have dual turn downs.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Is the factory muffler all that restrictive?
In a word: yes.

Putting a cat back on my previous Silverado really woke it up. Measurable gains w a cat back on my LS1 Z-28 also. If it is quiet, it is restrictive.

Don't get me wrong, the OEM muffler isn't causing any huge power loss, but everything is a compromise. GM chose quiet over maximum flow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hey guys, know i'm a bit late to chime in but I just got my Exhaust done on friday. I looked at the muffler that came on the truck and found out it was a magna-flow muffler! I had no idea the previous owner had put magna flow on. anyways i cut it off and threw a flow master 40 si/do with turndowns. The truck was still way too quiet for me so i cut the secondary cats off and welded in some mid pipes in their place and now the truck sounds like it should. I put the secondary cats up to the light to see how much light passes through and i saw three pinholes of light. I'm telling you first mod for these V8 trucks would be to simply cut the secondary cats off and weld in mid pipes. it'll cost you 50 bucks and the gains are dramatic!! I'll post pics soon of secondary cats so you guys can see how restrictive they are. I'll also post sound clips :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yea I replaced the just the muffler about a year back! I'm not happy with either! However I had a V8 Colorado in the shop a couple days ago n it sounded amazing! Turns out everything was factory except for it didn't have a muffler lol, just had a pipe bent and welded in its place lol! Sounds nice deep n throaty the way V8 should!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Ya. That's what I am doing. I have had a magnaflow and a flowmaster in the last year and its just slightly louder then stock. Going to delete the muffler and keep the rest stock and see how that sounds.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ya. That's what I am doing. I have had a magnaflow and a flowmaster in the last year and its just slightly louder then stock. Going to delete the muffler and keep the rest stock and see how that sounds.
Get a sound clip of that up as soon as you do it, please!

·
Registered
2 Posts
this is how i did my exhaust, i bought a flowmaster super 44 and had the muffler shop just cut out the stock one and put this one in, sounds great and it didn't cost as much as replacing the whole exhaust, i added the side out and tip later

·
Registered
2 Posts
Need to change just the muffler on an 05 colorado. Does it need to be welded? Or can I use muffler clamps?

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I took off the factory muffler and looked in it, a straight through pipe with lots of sound deadener that filled in the huge muffler base. I replaced with a SS Borla Pro XS Series, not as loud as I thought, the shop manager said it would be a slight louder than the Magnaflow and cheaper. Cold start up was nice but I had a problem with highway driving with it - it would pop and felt weird when I let off the glass around 70 MPH... I tried to wait a couple hundred miles but got worst. Took it back and ended up buying a 12" Thrust glass pack ..LOL, and the Colorado ran way better! Start up was louder and so is full throttle. I think it cost me $27.00 at Auto Zone, $2.50 for each adaptor. I bought 2 SLP muffler clamps @ $12.00 each and 30 minutes on back cutting and installing. It's been on for 2 years now... I used SLP clamps because I used them on my Camaro and they SS and clamp really tight.

BTW, I did listen to - what seems like - hundreds of audio clips and checked prices and not sure how I ended up with a cheap glass pack that sounds better than Borla and Magnaflow. JMO... maybe I got tired of trying to choose. I have the Borla in the garage if someone what's to buy it for $45.00 and pay for shipping. PM me if interested. Used for 2 weeks.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts