Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states. I have a shake in the rear of my truck, constant. It feels like a tire out of balance, but we have checked them three ways to sunday and they balance. Moved the front tires to the rear, shake stayed in the rear. Checked new wheels for a bent one, no luck. running out of options. Next thing on the list is to change the U-joints and see if that helps. Any other ideas? Have to get this stopped, driving to Nashville next week.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Kind of a stretch, given your description, but also maybe the driveshaft intermediate bearings?

Mine (and the U-joints) started gradually going bad at about 90K or so.
The shake came on so gradually I didn't notice at first, until it got so bad I had to notice.

I'll have my truck on a lift in a couple days for my rear disc installation and the U-joints + shaft bearings are on my list to inspect (I'm at 132k now).

Good luck!

T

·
0 Posts
Do it one by one: ujoint. Test, bearing, test, .... Do you have grinding noise?

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No grinding. Do not have the intermediate bearing. One piece aluminum drive shaft. Thought about bent axle. Not sure how to check that, short of pulling the axle.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Was your girlfriend riding back there?

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably a u-joint on it's way out.
Crawl under the truck, grab the driveshaft and check for free play. It's best to do this with the truck off.
I tried to shake it, no play at all. Original u-joints still on the truck. 170000+ miles. Going to change them first. I think that is the problem, but will not know until I change them.

Check the crossmember bolts connected to the tranny
Had not thought of this. I will check that mount. Might be worn out, in which case it probably would shake.

Working on it tomorrow. Will keep you all posted. Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Check the crossmember bolts connected to the tranny
I'm glad you posted this..

My truck is fine but I'll have it on the lift Friday for other things.
You reminded me that I need to inspect and re-torque my low-pro transmission x-member bolts.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I determined a bent axle flange on a previous truck by removing wheels. Supporting vehicle with solid jackstands.

Disengage if you have a 4x4.

Start truck in put in gear. I used a long screwdriver by holding it solid on top of a bucket and pushed it into flange slowly. Either the screwdriver made contact all the way around, or it would pulsate. I used this to verify what appeared to be a wobbly wheel visible from my mirror.

It's least likely unless you hit a serious pothole, or bashed into a curb (or otherwise) in a turn. I don't think an axle would bend if driving on snow/ice then finding a solid bite of traction. But guess anything is possible.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
check the bushings in the springs also and u bolt nuts

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
check the bushings in the springs also and u bolt nuts
Checked them also, they were good. Changed the Ujoints, tightened the Trans mount, and no more shake, just the vibration of those chopped up mud tires. I guess I can live with that! Thanks for all the input!

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
Nice post and cool solutions !!! Also wanted to say thanks !!! Love reading this type of posts !!!

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
^^^^ Yeah that !!! LOL

·
Registered
510 Posts
best thing to check the ujoint, take the truck at cold for a nice quick fast run around home 5min. stop the truck and touch each ujoint, if is hot thats the trouble!

mine have no play Under the truck but each shaft of the ujoint are oval and little bearing broke. that make wierd shake Under 2500-3000rpm

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just an update, mine turned out to be a combination of the U-joints and the Mud tires I was running. Replaced the U-joints and calmed it down quite a bit. There was still a good "out of balance" type of shake in the truck, and replacing the tires cured that issue.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts