Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really know the best place to put this, so re-direct me if needed.

I've got an 06 single cab, 4 cylinder, single cab colorado. But I'm debating buying a 2010-13 dodge ram 1500. I just need to know the price/information of what I'm wanting to do to my current truck.

Want to do:
Fix passenger side door handle (missing, and locking mechanism looks banged up)
Lift 2"-3"
Shocks, brakes, suspension etc.
Tires
Rims
Headlights
Taillights
Decent muffler
Fix hail damage (dings on top of cab, small dents in side of bed)
Front bumper
Rear bumper

Interior is a different topic, just trying to figure this out for now. If it's too much of a money sink then I'll go with a newer truck. I'll figure out how to upload pictures when I get some time; I'm on mobile at work right now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ram would be about $22,000 to $26,000. I figured with my list of fix ups it'd be expensive, but it doesn't have to all be done at once.

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
Are most of the parts you looking for stock replacement or aftermarket?,like front and rest bumper..tails etc?

Lights I would look to rockauto TYC brand..about 130 for all 4 shipped + or -

Front and rear bumper if your looking for stock.. Check local junk yards (www.car-part.com) also or the classified section here.

Tires/wheels price will depend on what size and brand you go with. Most expensive thing in would say would be the paint/hail damage repair.. But you should honestly have no problem fixing this up and maybe plus some.more mods for half of what Ram costs.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
I'd start by Googling the cost of the parts that you want to upgrade your Colorado add in the cost for labor and go from there. You list quite a few options that the price could vary considerably based on what you want, so it's difficult for anyone here to give you an estimate.

You got to weigh the cost to fixing up the Colorado vs buying a new truck. Does it make sense to spend $4-5k on a truck that nine years old? That's a decision only you can make.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll definitely check out the cost of labor and parts. I'm looking for a mix of stock and aftermarket, but I'll weigh all the options before I make any final calls. Thanks for the links! I'll check them out. I'll get a total rounded up either today or tomorrow. Like I said, I have no problem piecing it together so the total cost isn't that big of a deal.

I'll also look into the size of tired that I want, but I may put the lift off until next year so I can save up some cash. The other stuff is more important. How will a suspension lift affect my ride quality? I live in Oklahoma, and sometimes it gets windy and icy. Will the weather be more of a problem if I lifted it and played with the suspension?

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
The wind affects lifted trucks more than lowered due to physics, but it's not terrible unless you have drastic changes (10"+ of lift vs. 5"+ of drop). The tires you choose also affect how the truck performs (rolling resistance).

Lifting the truck can stiffen the ride, but that depends on the type of lift and the shocks you choose as well.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Considering you have a vehicle of choice and cost, it almost seems like you are leaning more towards a replacement.

Do you like project work, and will you dedicate yourself to fixing up your truck? Is it a good financial move on your part to spend pocket money for things that pop up, or is it easier to just make a monthly payment.....

It is tough. If you are considering resale, dumping a lot of money into your truck to make it right won't really return it when you sell. And ask yourself, if you fix it up, how long before you eventually sell anyway, making some of the costs of repair unnecessary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tend to go back and forth. I enjoy projects actually. I'm good with my hands and I enjoy the work for the reward. I'd be looking to drive the same truck for 4 years or so. After I finalize my decision on the truck I'll be saving for a house, and I'll have the money saved for a good down payment within 2-3 years or less depending on the truck decision. I guess it's a tough choice for me. The truck only has just over 100k miles on it, so I am guessing it'd make it a few more years pretty easily.

Also on the financial side of things, my insurance would definitely go up. And I'd have a hefty payment. All that versus my low-ish insurance now and no car payment.

And thanks for the feedback on the lift! I assumed it'd play with it a little, I just didn't know exactly what to expect.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
If you like projects and plan to keep the truck for 4 years. No reason not to pretty it up a little bit to satisfy you then.
On the flip side, replacing it with a newer vehicle now will give you a headstart on paying it down, but of course allows you to save less in the interim. And it won't be as much of a hit in the future after you have a mortgage to pay. AND a plus, if you keep that newer truck until it's paid for, it will still be in great condition just a few years into the mortgage. Your tax returns are likely to be high for the first few years, and no car payment....woot!

Yeah, I'm no help, that's for sure.

The older a vehicle is the less resale it's worth. I kept my first truck way too long until it had no value for trade time. I don't want to get into that position again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha, yeah. There's lots of pros and cons in there for sure. If I fix up the Colorado I probably won't look to sell it for much in the future. I know it won't be worth much, but after 4 years or so I should be in a stable enough financial position to buy a newer vehicle (and my insurance won't be sky high; I'm 22 now.)

First thing I need to do is see how much the hail damage repair will cost! I'll jump on this ASAP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking at some XD wheels but I'm worried they'll look too big for my truck if I don't lift it now. Maybe 16x8 but I'd like some meaty-ish tires as well. Anybody got some good pictures of some standard single cabs with some 16's? I'll browse the site and see if I like the look. Thanks in advance!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts