Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my truck about 2 months ago and as summer is coming quickly i need to figure some things out. I tow quite often durning the summer and use my truck as a real truck. A little background info. My truck is a 2006 extented cab with 52,000 miles. I have a ladder rack on the truck at ALL THE TIME that weights about 160lbs. I know I need to improve the load capacity. My problem is deciding what to choose. My currently leaf springs are not in the "W" shape yet. So do i add a HD Spring Pack 2004 - 2013 Chevy Colorado / GMC Canyon 4x4 heavy duty rear leaf spring, 1600 lbs capacity - 5(4/1) leaves

Or do i keep the current spring pack and add air bags? I would like to keep the current ride comfort as much as possible. I put Add a leaf in my old S10 and it turned into a flintstone mobile. So i would like to stay away from that. So i am somewhat scared of a new spring pack. A new Spring pack would be simple and failure proof as the airlines for the air bags could go bad.

Has anyone used the General spring pack at 1600 lbs cap? How stiff is it? And over time would I likely kill this one two?

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Those HD springs are going to ride really rough unless you have a lot of weight back there at all times.

What kind of things will you be hauling where you need 1600lbs extra capacity? If you don't need that much extra you could settle for a new spring pack that doesn't add that much, which will save you from ruining the ride quality while still being able to haul what you want.

I did a procomp AAL 13120 and I can haul a 20ft bayliner without sagging (before i couldn't even get the boat jack off the ground) and the ride quality isn't compromised. I know that SDTruckSprings.com sells quite a few kits that could be a compromise between what you have and what you want.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not 1600 extra capacity. The OEM as far as I can tell are rated at 1,200 lbs. These are rated at 1,600. So only 400 lbs difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts