Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock head lights keep fogging up or collecting condensation on the inside. I have previously sealed them with black RTV silicone. However my left head light keeps collecting condensation. How do I fix this? I don't have money for new lights. I also would like to black out the head lamps from the inside. Any help would be greatful!

Thank you

Chris

·
Registered
486 Posts
I drilled a 1/8 inch hole underneath on the outside edge by the bumper and condensation gone. Worked for 5 years now.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
May be leaking in around the lamp sockets.

What do the headlamp sockets use to seal around them?
I can't recall if the headlamp sockets have O-rings same as the DRLs...

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Make sure blacking out your lights isn't illegal in your area.
It is probably more expensive (or maybe similar) for new headlights after you've painted/blacked out your stock set.

My running lights fog up too......

·
Registered
486 Posts
It's such an easy fix. You are trapping condensation in your light. Just drill a small hole underneath and release it. Don't drill the hole on the side as you will get more water in your headlight ( and it will be visible). Boom, Simple cheap fix. Done. It has worked for me on 2 separate Colorados over 9 years. You don't even have to remove the headlight and no one can see it.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Another tip -- replace bulbs on the least humid days. In a perfect world, the moisture that condenses gets in there when you change the bulb.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Another tip -- replace bulbs on the least humid days. In a perfect world, the moisture that condenses gets in there when you change the bulb.
If he drills a weep hole I don't think it's gonna make much difference.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts

Correct. But for those who haven't. I've successfully gotten rid of the humidity in my headlights by removing the bulbs on a cold dry day, let 'air out' for hour, and reinstall. Just a thought.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's such an easy fix. You are trapping condensation in your light. Just drill a small hole underneath and release it. Don't drill the hole on the side as you will get more water in your headlight ( and it will be visible). Boom, Simple cheap fix. Done. It has worked for me on 2 separate Colorados over 9 years. You don't even have to remove the headlight and no one can see it.

This may be a stupid request, but if possible can you post a pic of where you drilled the hole? I'd like to put mine in the same spot since you have gone several years without a problem.

·
Registered
486 Posts
This may be a stupid request, but if possible can you post a pic of where you drilled the hole? I'd like to put mine in the same spot since you have gone several years without a problem.

Yeah, I just saw this . Sorry for the delay. I will take a photo and post it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Here you go. If you have fog lights You can take one off or use a small dremel drill. Sometimes, if I am washing the truck, and accidentally squirt some water in it, or take thru the car wash, the fog is gone in one day.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts