Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find the ground wire that hooks to the body of my 2005 Colorado. Can someone point it out . Thanks for any help. I am new on this forum.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
There are 2 very poor grounding points for almost everything on our trucks. They're terrible and almost everyone here has had to deal with them at some point. There's one on each front fender under the hood. The one on the passenger side is behind the breather box and the one on the driver side is by the ABS actuator. There's a 10 mm headed bolt that mounts a little black box that has about 6 ground wires in each one. Sometimes you can simply remove the bolt and scuff up the paint a little and tighten the bolt down and be good. Often, that won't work and you'll have to take a small screwdriver or knife and break that little black box open and there's metal contacts inside that will either be corroded, or just very loose. The real repair here is to cut all those wires off and put ring terminals on them and then bolt them down using the 10 mm bolt. You've to a little "slack" in the wires to do this and It will be a permanent fix. Many folks here, once they've addressed these grounds report that their truck idles better an all sorts of little electrical issues and intermittent stuff goes away.
Here's a video that's a bit lengthy, but it shows exactly where it is and what it looks like. So, watch this while your drink your coffee this morning, and go take care of this and you'll be good to go!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much. I have been working on this off and on for a week or so. Hope you have a great day.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Let us know if that works for you. I haven't looked at a wiring diagram to see where the headlight ground is, but there's one available here on the site. I feel quite certain that the passenger side ground is probably your best place to start though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let us know if that works for you. I haven't looked at a wiring diagram to see where the headlight ground is, but there's one available here on the site. I feel quite certain that the passenger side ground is probably your best place to start though.
it worked , thanks . You wouldn't happen to know anything about the 4 wheel drive on my colorado also

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
When I bought my '04 Colorado, the 4x4 didn't work. With the driver's door open, I would press the button to go into 4x4 and I could hear stuff happening under the truck. Something would shift in and out as I pressed the 2x4 and 4x4 buttons. Since I felt pretty sure the transfer case was doing what it was supposed to do, I picked up a front axle actuator from a u-pull lot here in town and that did the trick. Basically, the transfer case makes the front driveshaft turn and the front differential operate. But, if the front axle actuator doesn't activate, the front wheels still just spin free.
This will help:
You can screw this part out and connect the wire and try shifting into 4x4 and see if the plunger comes out. If it doesn't, that's your problem. They're somewhat universal and I got mine off of a Tahoe 4x4 at the U-pull yard. The price for a new one is abut $80, so I didn't want to buy one without knowing if that was the problem. It's easy to test though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I bought my '04 Colorado, the 4x4 didn't work. With the driver's door open, I would press the button to go into 4x4 and I could hear stuff happening under the truck. Something would shift in and out as I pressed the 2x4 and 4x4 buttons. Since I felt pretty sure the transfer case was doing what it was supposed to do, I picked up a front axle actuator from a u-pull lot here in town and that did the trick. Basically, the transfer case makes the front driveshaft turn and the front differential operate. But, if the front axle actuator doesn't activate, the front wheels still just spin free.
This will help:
You can screw this part out and connect the wire and try shifting into 4x4 and see if the plunger comes out. If it doesn't, that's your problem. They're somewhat universal and I got mine off of a Tahoe 4x4 at the U-pull yard. The price for a new one is abut $80, so I didn't want to buy one without knowing if that was the problem. It's easy to test though.
My problem is that the lights on the dash will not light up. So it will not do anything.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You might want to start a new post with that. There's some kind of control box for the 4x4 under the driver's seat and sometimes the ground goes bad. also, there's a switch on the transfer case that has wires going to it. Sometimes that plug comes loose, or the contacts get corroded. I'd check the plug on the transfer case first, since you don't have to really remove anything to do that. I'm guessing you've already checked the fuses, right? When I bought my truck, I really figured I'd never use the 4x4. I'm in Savannah Georgia, so there's little chance of snow, right? Within a year of getting the truck, we had a blizzard! At least 2 inches! Also not loner after that Hurricane Matthew came to town and the whole island I live on was covered in fallen trees and power poles. 4x4 came in handy then too! So, I bought the truck with no intention of ever using the 4x4, but it has come in very handy on a few occasions. I'm sure you'll find uses for it too, but if it's not a simple fix it can get very expensive to start replaing parts. Our 4x4 transfer case and all other components are made by Isuzu, but the parts are used on many other GM vehicles, I think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok , thanks . I just took it in to be fixed . I don't have time now to do any thing .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts