Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Factory Fresh
1,897 Posts
I got a set of drls from another member and they have alot of grime to it. I used a 3m kit that we use at work and it kinda worked but i can still see fine scratches and the rubbing compound that it came with hasnt cleared them up ? It comes 500 grit, 800 for wet sanding, another pad im not sure what to call it. Can anyone help me from this stand point ? ill post pictures when i get a chance.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Compounds generally cannot get out scratches from anything more aggressive than a 2000 grit. You'll have to go back to your sanding process. After 800, step up to a 1500 and then 2000. Really work the 1500 because you're covering a large jump in grit and make sure you're keeping the lens wet. Follow up with a compound and then polish (I like Meg's m105 and m205) to refine the scratches further. Make sure to either shoot them with clear or keep a good coat of wax on them after this as you've removed any prior protection; the plastic is cheap so it'll most likely do this again in a years time if you don't.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I paid the body shop to restore the driver sdie headlight on my stratus when I had the pass side replaced, it looked great for about a month then started to go back to what to used to look like, now about 6 months later it looks just as bad as the beginning. I dont know what type of products they used or if it was done correctly but that was my experience with it.
They probably applied a glaze full of silicone. That's how most cheap headlight restoration stuff works. The reason headlights get cloudy is they become porous, and those small pores refract light making it hard to see through them. They'll feel rough to the touch versus a freshly polished or clear'd headlight because of this; you're feeling the imperfections in the surface.

The cheap kits take advantage of this by using silicone as it fills the voids and gives it an even surface (which makes the headlight look better temporarily). Once the silicone wears off, you're back to square one.

To properly do this, you can sand with 1000 grit and spray them with clear, filling the voids up and establishing an even surface, or by sanding down to and even surface with 2000+ grit sandpaper. Going the latter route, make sure to treat with wax often as you've removed any protection.

·
Premium Member
21,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
yeah I'll probably either wets and mine and spray them or just pick up another set of lights and transfer the clear lens.

My parking lights the tabs are broken anyways

·
Registered
613 Posts
in due time, I plan on offering, after limited site vendorship approval, a swap service where I'll send out a loaner set while I'll fix member's lenses and the loaners can be past on to the next person. Any interest in this?

·
Factory Fresh
1,897 Posts
might be depends on shipping and labor costs i wont need a loaner set tho and chris i cant really make the name of that stuff and will it work after the sanding ive done on the one ive started on

·
Harry...
13,936 Posts
might be depends on shipping and labor costs i wont need a loaner set tho and chris i cant really make the name of that stuff and will it work after the sanding ive done on the one ive started on
It's Malco Headlight Lens Repair Polish.

And probably no. This stuff is bascially a really agressive compound. Really grity, but it works well with a 3M 3" pad.

I even used this stuff to polish the feed ramp on my handgun.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Ive tried several of them and the best one I have found is one made by Sylvania. I work at Advance Auto so I'll open stuff and try it before people will buy it and its the best and the only one I will sell. Its the entire kit with the cloths, sand paper, activator, and the UV protector. I used it on my gf car (Integra) and he headlights were NASTY thick. After about 30 mins per headlight they came out crystal clear like new. I cleared them up before I installed HIDs for her and they are still clear after 6 months.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
Time to resurrect an old thread. I just tried this product on my wife's Acadia in preparation for installing Diode Dynamics XML2 LED bulbs:

I have to say I am impressed. Here is the before shot on the driver side:

And here is the after shot on the driver side:

The kit comes with a double sided wet sanding pad with 2000 grit on one side and 3000 grit on the other. In total it took me less than an hour for both headlights. Now to see how long it lasts......they claim lifetime warranty....

21 - 36 of 36 Posts