Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was installing my halo head lights. And the kit came with a quick connector. I made it to tight and it hurt the wire i guess now my headlight is barely on. So im wondering if i can just cut and replace the damaged wire area with new wire if it would solve my problem?? I really need help here!!!!

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I was installing my halo head lights. And the kit came with a quick connector. I made it to tight and it hurt the wire i guess now my headlight is barely on. So im wondering if i can just cut and replace the damaged wire area with new wire if it would solve my problem?? I really need help here!!!!
Hard to say exactly what you're describing here..
Are you saying you were tapping into the headlight wire with a quick-connect crimp thingy and damaged the headlamp wire?

If so, sure you can cut out the damaged section and splice it all together.
If you don't know how to do that securely I would suggest getting someone who can though.
If it were me I'd want to solder it together, but you can certainly use some type of crimp splice also.. Just be sure to encapsulate it with RTV silicone to prevent corrosion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, when i was putting in my new headlights it came with quick-connectors .And when i conected it it cut the wire. And now it dont work due to the wire bing cut. But thank you thats all i really need to know if i could cut it and replace cause i dont want to go off cutting when i dont need too.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
yes, when i was putting in my new headlights it came with quick-connectors .And when i conected it it cut the wire. And now it dont work due to the wire bing cut. But thank you thats all i really need to know if i could cut it and replace cause i dont want to go off cutting when i dont need too.
Well no, I wouldn't advise cutting wires if not necessary.
If you have damaged it though, there isn't any choice but to repair it somehow.

Not being there to see it no one but you is in a position to judge how best to do that, but if the wire is actually damaged you gotta do something.

Cutting a section of wire and then splicing it will make it as good as ever, if...
If it's done so that the current-carrying capacity is not reduced, and if the splice is done in a way that is mechanically strong enough, and if it's protected from corrosion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts