Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang. Have a 2005 Canyon. Yesterday was a little chilly so I turned on the heat. When I attempted to turn it down the knob turned very easily to the cool setting but heat continued. I pulled off the knob to see if it was broke and it wasn't. I can feel some resistance when I turn the knob back towards hot, and it does get warmer. Does this sound like something that can be repaired by simply replacing the control or is it potentially more incolved? Thanks for any advice/guidance.

·
Boost. Get's you laid.
2,400 Posts
Sounds like the cable that works the blend door is jammed or in a bind. You can check it yourself by removing the radio bezel and then removing the two screws that hold the HVAC controls into the dash. Once you pull it out, you should be able to see the cables and linkages behind it that make it all work.

Just because the knob isn't broken dosen't mean something else isn't. There are gears and stuff behind the HVAC controls that all work together.

Cue rshadd for the diagrams..

·
Super Moderator
13,734 Posts
Remove the HVAC controls and inspect the air temperature door and linkage for broken or binding linkages. It's also possible that an obstruction of some sort could be preventing the air temperature door from operating within it's full range of motion.

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the accessory trim plate
  2. Remove the two 7mm screws (7,2) for the HVAC control assembly.
  3. Remove the HVAC control assembly from the instrumentation panel.
  4. Disconnect the mode cable from the HVAC control assembly.
  5. Disconnect the temperature cable from the HVAC control assembly.
  6. Disconnect the HVAC electrical control assembly electrical connectors.
  7. Remove the HVAC control assembly.

Temperature Control Cable Adjustment
Adjustment Procedure

1. Place the temperature control knob in the full cold position.
  2. Fully open the I/P storage compartment.
  3. Remove the temperature control cable from the retaining clip.
  4. Rotate the door lever fully forward and press the cable housing into the retaining clip.
  5. Cycle the control head temperature lever from full cold to full hot to verify proper operation.
  6. Close the I/P storage compartment.

You'll also find detailed pictures for removing and installing the HVAC controls in my how-to:
http://www.355nation.net/forum/how-...9395-how-change-color-your-hvac-controls.html

·
Registered
352 Posts
This happened to me once. It did this for a day or so and the cable eventually came un-clipped. Put everything back and its worked fine ever since!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So as a follow-up it was indeed the cable. But for some reason even after rseating it, it still manages to pop off. It's cooling down here and I had to pop the glove box open to manually change it today. I may have hosed the cable by bending it when I was troubleshooting (trouble making in this case.) Can anyone give me a part number or diagram with part numbers so I can track down a replacement? Thanks.

Chris

·
Super Moderator
13,734 Posts
A/C & HEATER CONTROL ASM; HEATER CONTROL ASM

Click on the image for all part numbers and descriptions

Item Number: 001
Part Number: 25821740
Description: CABLE. Air Flow Control
CABLE,TEMP CONT. Required: 01
For: ST1 (2004-2011) (2004 - 2006).
For: ST1 (2004-2011) (2004 - 2011).
Cost: $12.16

Item Number: 007
Part Number: 15221940
Description: CABLE. Air Flow Control
CABLE,MODE CONT. Required: 01
For: ST1 (2004-2011) (2004 - 2006).
For: ST1 (2004-2011) (2004 - 2011).
Cost: $12.62

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.