Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to my local napa and had them check to see why my check engine light was on.It came back saying a temp sensor or thermostat.I have ordered the sensor,just need a pic of where it is located.I know where the thermostat is ,but hopeing it is the sensor instead.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MOZ,Looks like I found it,it is on the drivers side toward the back of the engine block.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Note: This is for the 3.7L, but I would think the 3.5L would be about the same.

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Replacement

Special Tools
J 45861 ECT Sensor Socket ($6)

Removal Procedure

1. Partially drain the cooling system to a level below the engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor.

2. Disconnect the engine wiring harness electrical connector (1) from the ECT sensor electrical connector.

3. Remove the ECT sensor electrical connector from the camshaft cover.

Caution: Use care when handling the coolant sensor. Damage to the coolant sensor will affect the operation of the fuel control system.

4. Using the J 45861 (2) carefully remove the ECT sensor (3) from the cylinder head.

Installation Procedure

Caution: Use care when handling the coolant sensor. Damage to the coolant sensor will affect the operation of the fuel control system.

Caution: Replacement components must be the correct part number for the application. Components requiring the use of the thread locking compound, lubricants, corrosion inhibitors, or sealants are identified in the service procedure. Some replacement components may come with these coatings already applied. Do not use these coatings on components unless specified. These coatings can affect the final torque, which may affect the operation of the component. Use the correct torque specification when installing components in order to avoid damage.

1. If installing the original sensor or a NEW sensor without sealant, apply thread sealer GM P/N 12346004 (Canadian P/N 10953480) or equivalent.

2. Thread the ECT sensor into the cylinder head by hand.

Caution: Refer to Component Fastener Tightening Caution in the Preface section.

3. Using the J 45861 (2) tighten the ECT sensor (3).

Tighten
    Tighten the sensor to 14 N·m (10 lb ft).​

4. Install the ECT sensor electrical connector to the camshaft cover.

5. Connect the engine wiring harness electrical connector (1) to the ECT sensor electrical connector.

6. Refill the cooling system.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will take some pics,I had to get the socket off ebay.No place around here carried it, and the chevy/gm dealership wouldn't let me borrow theirs.They wanted me to make an appointment to have them do it.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
josha37, The temp gauge did read low.I went to a friend of mine who is a mechanic,it read a p1028 I think that was the # which was the thermastat.I exchanged the sensor for the therm and replaced it.My engine check light is now out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts