Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! My name is Eliel, I’m from Deep South Texas. I recently bought/rescued a 2011 Colorado Z71 RWD 3.7L from my sister in law. The truck had sat for some time, as everyone in her family purchased new vehicles. It was rotting away so I offered to buy it. The paint was starting to burn in the sun, not badly though. The interior was dirty beyond belief due to their dogs, cupholders gone, reclining latch broken, etc. Engine oil hadn’t been changed in who knows how long; the oil pan plug was stuck, couldn’t get it out even with my impact. Ended up having to lift it and use a 22” ratchet to loosen it. Long story short, the truck was in disrepair and I’m slowly but surely bringing it back to life. It rides extremely smooth and has plenty of power for a small pickup (I towed a 2007 Pontiac Vibe using a vehicle dolly 400 miles no issue.) The only things I’ve needed to replace so far are the oil, FP hub assembly and A/C blower motor, but just today it got stuck in defrost mode. I’ve been doing some reading and it might be the blend door actuator, part # 15-72794. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks for reading and I’m happy to be a part of the forum!
Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Tire Vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Welcome to the Nation.

The configuration for the Colorado HVAC controls was lifted right out of a nineteen sixties vehicle. There is one actuator and that is for the recirc. The temp and mode controls are cable operated, no electric motors invoilved. If you look under the dash, above the gas pedal and to the right, you will see a white plastic bellcrank with a cable attached to it. That is the mode control. Check the bellcrank for damage and make sure the cable sheath end is secure in the clip. You may have to pull the HVAC Control Panel and check the other end of the cable to see if it is connected and clipped.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the Nation.

The configuration for the Colorado HVAC controls was lifted right out of a nineteen sixties vehicle. There is one actuator and that is for the recirc. The temp and mode controls are cable operated, no electric motors invoilved. If you look under the dash, above the gas pedal and to the right, you will see a white plastic bellcrank with a cable attached to it. That is the mode control. Check the bellcrank for damage and make sure the cable sheath end is secure in the clip. You may have to pull the HVAC Control Panel and check the other end of the cable to see if it is connected and clipped.
Thanks! I actually didn’t know that. I went to an A/C shop before work today. They said the same thing. The cable end was loose so he placed it back and lubed it. Worked like a charm, $30.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great job on bringing it back to life. From the pic the truck looks as it did new. Welcome to the Nation!
Thanks! I wish it did in person too! It’s got dings and scratches galore. The passenger side was driven into a brick column by my niece, so I still need to get that fixed. Once I do I want to respray the whole thing. I was reading some older threads about 4x4 conversion and most suggest trade in and buy a 4x4. But they’re running about 18-20k for a 2012. So I’m sticking to RWD for the moment

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have a 4x4. I don't need/use it often, but it's bee really on occasion to be able to pull a full-sized truck out of the mud when I go to a firing range back in the woods! Pulling my sons F-250 out of the mud was my greatest moment with my silly little 5 cylinder truck! If you really want a 4x4, I'd look for a wrecked one or one that's got a bad motor and/or transmission. Then you'd have both and all of the necessary parts to do the swap.
Welcome to the gang!!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

·
2 timer
1,501 Posts
Greetings and Welcome.

Truck looks good from the condition you described it was in when you got it.

Reactions: aello20

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 4x4. I don't need/use it often, but it's bee really on occasion to be able to pull a full-sized truck out of the mud when I go to a firing range back in the woods! Pulling my sons F-250 out of the mud was my greatest moment with my silly little 5 cylinder truck! If you really want a 4x4, I'd look for a wrecked one or one that's got a bad motor and/or transmission. Then you'd have both and all of the necessary parts to do the swap.
Welcome to the gang!!
That’s awesome! I would love to have seen your Colorado pulling out that F250. I think I may end up doing the conversion, we live close to the beach so we’re out there quite a bit. But it won’t be for a long while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had to replace the seat recline latch on both of my seats. Amazon has them pretty reasonably priced.
Thanks! I actually found two of them at a junk yard next town over. Was also looking for a spare wheel, a jack and its accessories, and the arm rest/console which is broken. Only found the recline handle 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Greetings and Welcome.

Truck looks good from the condition you described it was in when you got it.
Thanks, but it still needs work. Next thing I’m working on is the anti theft, several times it’s pulled that little trick on me where it won’t start for ten minutes. Drives me nuts

·
2 timer
1,501 Posts
Thanks, but it still needs work. Next thing I’m working on is the anti theft, several times it’s pulled that little trick on me where it won’t start for ten minutes. Drives me nuts
Any of these trucks would need work to look like new. There were and still are scratches on the driver's bed side from people reaching in the bed and having scratched it from their belt buckle when I bought mine. But since I also use it as a truck, it was going to get scratched again any and was 9 years old when I bought it early last year. Kids have added some when they borrowed the truck, but it still looks decent. I had the dealer replace the ignition switch on the '09 when it got to be too much. IIRC it was only a couple hundred at that time, which may or may not be feasable for your situation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts