Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have experienced lately some rough idle and noticed that many on here said that the 04-05 models had platium plugs and they didn't last long. Many said to change to iridium. So I am changing out the plugs (47k miles) on my 2.8l and the old ones did look really bad, and they were soak in oil to the point that I don't know how they were firing! I changed them out and the truck ran bad a died almost instantly. Long story short we had to put back in the old plugs to now its back to how it was. I am worried about the oil, could it have something to do with the valve seat recall? And why didn't the plugs work..
Thank you for your time and help

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I have experienced lately some rough idle and noticed that many on here said that the 04-05 models had platium plugs and they didn't last long. Many said to change to iridium. So I am changing out the plugs (47k miles) on my 2.8l and the old ones did look really bad, and they were soak in oil to the point that I don't know how they were firing! I changed them out and the truck ran bad a died almost instantly. Long story short we had to put back in the old plugs to now its back to how it was. I am worried about the oil, could it have something to do with the valve seat recall? And why didn't the plugs work..
Thank you for your time and help
not too sure dude when i changed the plugs in my 04 2.8 my last plug in the back was oily too idk what is with that.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Well... to be honest I NEVER gapped my iridiums and they ran great... maybe you caused damage during gapping :shrug:

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
All 4 plugs were wet and soaked in oil? Are you sure it was oil and not gas? What part of the plug was soaked in oil, ie: the tip, tip/threads, body? Was there any oil in the spark plug well? Possible causes for oil to be on the plugs are: worn piston rings, bad valve stem seals, worn valve guides, blown headgasket, leaking valve cover, etc....

Most of those causes usually only let oil into one cylinder unless it's a really high mileage engine, which yours isn't. Does the truck smoke? If not then I doubt it was oil on the plugs or it's oil leaking into the spark plug well from the valve cover.

It's hard to say why the new plugs didn't work. Are you sure they're the right plugs? Did they look the same physically as the stock plugs? They should be the same length and everything.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All 4 plugs were wet and soaked in oil? Are you sure it was oil and not gas? What part of the plug was soaked in oil, ie: the tip, tip/threads, body? Was there any oil in the spark plug well? Possible causes for oil to be on the plugs are: worn piston rings, bad valve stem seals, worn valve guides, blown headgasket, leaking valve cover, etc....

Most of those causes usually only let oil into one cylinder unless it's a really high mileage engine, which yours isn't. Does the truck smoke? If not then I doubt it was oil on the plugs or it's oil leaking into the spark plug well from the valve cover.

It's hard to say why the new plugs didn't work. Are you sure they're the right plugs? Did they look the same physically as the stock plugs? They should be the same length and everything.
Yeah it was oil. 2 were soaked, one had no oil, and one had a little. mostly threads were soaked, tips were dry and black, truck doesn't smoke. Plugs were same as old except old was platinum, i am clueless about them.

·
Registered
193 Posts

:yeahthat: :true: good info

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
I would remove the coil packs and look down into the spark plug wells of the plugs that had oil on them and see if there's any oil in there. It doesn't need to be a lot, if they're dirty at all in there it's probably coming from the valve cover. The coils seal against the valve cover so it would be clean in there otherwise. If that's not what it is and there's not a ton of oil on the threads, the tips weren't wet, and the truck doesn't smoke I probably wouldn't worry about it.

As for why the other plugs didn't work I'm lost on that one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My guess is its not oil on the plugs,It's fuel and it looks like oil cause of the black build up. Anyways I have found from a few "oops" trials that to obtain the best performance you need to run "Double platnium" plugs. I have an 05 as well and I tried Iredium as well as regular platnium plugs and ended up waisting my money cause when all said and done I bought a set of Double Platniums.

Just my thought?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts