Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2007 Colorado LT is has an issue with the DRLs not turning on during the day. I did install the mod that re-routs the DRL to the signal lamps but I don't believe that that circuit is the issue because I replaced both relays and the lights are still not coming on, they come on at night and they blink when I lock the vehicle but they are not activating during the day and do not come on even when I turn on my signal lights manually. My guess is that the DRL sensor is bad but that is confusing to me because the headlights still come on at night...are there two separate sensors? I have read up on some posts and this seems like a common issue, if someone with some more knowledge could kindly direct me that would be spiftastic. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Did the DRLs work normally before you modified the circuit? Power for the DRLs comes from the DRL Fuse and the DRL relay.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Which DRL conversion did you do? I did the one hmmbagodden posted a while back and my parking lights/turn signals work as DRLs. When I take the modified relay and the add-a-fuse out and replace them with a regular relay and fuse my headlight DRLs work. Can you post photos of your fuse box with and without the modified relay? I’ll try to post one of mine for comparison.
I’m sure you checked that the relay is in the right way. Have you tried switching the relays from other circuits? Could be a bad relay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've troubleshot the DRL conversion mod, I replaced both relays, they are in the correct config, same as before. I switched the relay from my horn to my parking lamps and still nothing. Funny thing though is that I covered my DRL sensor on the dash and they came on but my headlights did not, so now I'm confused. I'm thinking that it's got to be my DRL sensor. Does the DRL sensor control the headlights too because if so then my headlights should have come on and they didn't. I'll get pics later but I just replaced both relays on the mod, checked fuses and trouble shot all other relays. THANKS!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would think there is only one sensor and whether the DRLs or the headlights get turned on is controlled by the BCM. Just my opinion, have not looked at any schematics to confirm or refute that opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
You covered the ambient light sensor and the DRLs came on? There is only one light sensor and it turns on the DRLs during the daylight and switches to the headlights at night. Actually it just signals the BCM. The BCM does the work.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Razor - The first photo is of ”my” parking light DRL mod installed in the fuse box. The black wire going out the top of the photo is the ground that terminates under a fender bolt. I may move it to the splice pack on that side.
The second photo is of the modified DRL relay, the switching relay and the add-a-fuse. It doesn’t look pretty but it works. I’ll try to find the schematic Hmmbagodden posted that I used.
I want to make the DRLs turn off when the headlights are on to use LED switchback lamps. If I make that happen I can have white DRLs and amber turn signals. With this setup the parking light DRLs are on with the headlights and the white LEDs are too bright. Parking lights and headlights on at night may be the way the lights are designed to work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have that exact same mod installed in my truck, it was working fine for a long time, now it does not work. I did put in an electric fan conversion recently though, I have the ground connected to the negative on my battery, same as with the ground for the DRL mod circuit, perhaps that could be the issue. The other day my key fob was not working right and I had to disconnect the negative to shut off the alarm because my passlock is disabled. When I reconnected everything I noticed that for a few times whenever I unlocked the truck the running lights did not blink, but this isn't occuring anymore, so maybe it's a BCM issue. Sorry but I've been busy lately and haven't had time to get any pics. On another note though I do have a spare BCM laying around wrapped in two layers of static sheilding that should be good, I'm a conspiracy guy, into electromagnetics and I always try to be worst case scenario prepared. I might try troubleshooting with it, either way though, my new light sensor should be here tomorrow and I'm installing a new speaker system. I'll post an update then but what was weird though was that whenever I covered the sensor, my running lights in the front came on like normal and WITHOUT the headlights coming on...I need to do it again and check if my rear running lights come on though. On another note, I did get a pair of tweeters to replace the old ones but my new double din stereo does not have a tweeter circuit, do you think I could hook them up to the front speaker circuits? I haven't even checked other posts though, but I'm just rambling, I also got this turbo from China (80.81US $ 7% OFF|Universal Car Turbocompressor Turbo Charger with Automatic Controller Maximum 300W 35000 RPM|turbo charger|turbo turbo turboturbo electric - AliExpress), gonna install it too, I already put a ram air on top of my hood with 16 half inch holes ported into the hood, I'll take some pics of it, I have a cold air intake from ebay, $15...the darn thing runs sooooo nicely right now, I have a 4cyl and I have more power and throttle response now than I did with my previous 5cyl Colorado and I haven't even got the air dam in or the performance exhaust. Oh, by the way, would you look at my other post and tell me if it would be possible? Thanks (MOD - Superheat Fuel Before Entering Engine (NEED ADVICE))

1 - 8 of 8 Posts