Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's start by saying this is the first small truck I've ever owned. 2009 GMC Canyon. I5. On all my full size trucks I've never heard an engine run like this one. When I start the truck and usually in first gear, it's a really high compression sound. It sounds like lots of air moving and like the truck is working really hard. I've heard other small trucks sound the same and so I'm wondering what causes this? Usually by 2nd gear, the sound is completely gone but get back in park and it sounds like a massive fan is running full blast.

Sorry for the noob question, just trying to learn.

G

·
0 Posts
Hi copekyle,

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing concerns with your engine running rough. We'd be happy to look further into this concern for your. We understand you are seeking the advice and opinions of your fellow forum members but if you'd like our assistance please send us a private message referencing this thread.

Thank you,

Andraya R.
GM Customer Care

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
I have an '04 I5 and have the turbine sound. It does seem to cause a little sluggish for a few minutes until it warms up. A neighbor had an '05 I4 and had the same sound. He replaced the fan with an e-fan. no more turbine sound and I still have a turbine sound on occasion after 174K miles. Always have, expect I will I guess. Probably related to the clutch fan.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It is the oil in the fan clutch pooled up and preventing the clutch from disengaging. With enough centrifugal force and heat from the engine, it loosens up and eventually disengages. There is likely nothing wrong.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Eventually everyone swaps the original mechanical fan for an electric.
Took me 6 years to get the time/opportunity to do it myself, but I wouldn't go back.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Both of the colorados I've owned did the same thing like these guys say. Once it gets a little heat it lets loose and shuts up

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have the same sound . . . never really thought much about it as it only occurs when the truck is cold, but this thread explains what it is.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the explanation guys! I knew it was "normal" for these trucks because I've heard it on so many of them but I was just wondering what it was. Any body have a how-to link for switching to an e-fan?

·
maniac mechanic
5,767 Posts
Thanks for the explanation guys! I knew it was "normal" for these trucks because I've heard it on so many of them but I was just wondering what it was. Any body have a how-to link for switching to an e-fan?
If you have around $400 Supermod has a plug and play E-fan with shroud and a prewired harness that ties right into the factory wiring.

Or if you are cheap like the rest of us just find a strong fan from a similar sized engine in the junkyard and wire it up with one of the generic temp sensor harnesses from the auto parts store.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm definitely cheap... that's why I'm here and not in the dealership every other day ;) I'm jealous of you guys that just talk about dropping by the junk yard... our nearest junk yard is 45 minutes away and the nearest decent one is an hour and 15 away...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone else, besides me, gotten this sound after driving around for 20 minutes on a hot summers day? I believe my truck is running pretty hot, between the 1/2 and 3/4 a lot of the time up at the 3/4 mark on the temp gauge. Is that just normal too? It is annoying as hell and sucks power like a bitch.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
If you mean the sound of the fan, then yes. it happens to everybody. It is supposed to. The fan normally slips. As the cooling demand is increased the fan engages more and more. When you hear it howl, it means the fan is more engaged and pulling more air through the radiator. It's how the clutch system functions. It is noisy for sure. Your choice is to remove the fan and have peace and quiet, or let the fan function properly. ha!

Or you can purchase and install electric fans.

If you are concerned about the temp based on gauge position, I suggest getting a gauge to read the physical temp. Ultragauge and Scangauge are two affordable gauges. If you don't want to do that, get an infrared tool and check the radiator temp. I don't know what you mean by "between 1/2 and 3/4". But if it is in that range I'd say it should be. That is a huge difference in temperature. Your truck will probably run up to 215 degrees. Mine idling on a 110 degree day for 5 minutes resulted in 212. It bounced around a little until 2 miles on the highway before it dropped to around 202 then finally about 196. Numerical readings are from my Ultragauge. As a matter of fact, the reason I purchased Ultragauge a few years ago was so I could read water temp.

One of the biggest complaints about this truck, especially as summer comes around is the temperature relative to the gauge needle position. It is 'normal' for the needle to get that high, unlike most any other vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sweet thanks 08Canyon! I've been looking into an efan I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one with this problem. And to get a more accurate temperature reading would be really nice I'll look into getting that ultragauge. All you have to do is plug it into the OBDII slot and it gets the info? Does it use the engine thermostat (I'm worried mine might be going out).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Sweet thanks 08Canyon! I've been looking into an efan I just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one with this problem. And to get a more accurate temperature reading would be really nice I'll look into getting that ultragauge. All you have to do is plug it into the OBDII slot and it gets the info? Does it use the engine thermostat (I'm worried mine might be going out).

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
That is the way the fan functions. It's not a problem. If you were describing the sound of the fan.

Yes, the two gauges plug into the OBDII port. It is just a digital display of what the computer already has. So coolant temp is just showing you what the computer has stored from the sensors.

Check too that your gauge is stable. If it is suddenly way higher than it used to then yes there is a possibility the t-stat is beginning to fail. If it is just hotter (ambient) than it was, and the gauge is indicating as such and this is your first experience, then it MAY be operating normally. Mine runs at 186 in normal conditions, but it creeps a little if its warmer. If it is near or over 100 degrees then it tops 200 degrees. It can stay at or below though if the A/C isn't running. I think we get a light if it's too hot. I know we get a light if it is too cold.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts