Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 Z71 4x4 with the 3.7 I5. Recently ran into a huge motor problem and I need to get the motor out. Two shops quoted me over 7500$ to replace the motor. Sooooo we are going to do it ourselves. I need help figuring out what way to pull the motor. Both shops told me that the motor had to be pulled out of the bottom of the truck which puts me between a rock and a hard place. Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated along with any suggestions on replacement motors or motor rebuild kits. Thanks guys.

·
badlandindustries.com
9,680 Posts
Pull the steering rack, hood, radiator, exhaust manifold, any acessories off the motor, drain all fluids, and pull the wire harness off the motor from driver to passenger side. Chain it up and pull the mounting bolts out and yank it out the top. You could easily have a stock drop in motor running on the same day with help.

What's wrong with it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It burned 4 quarts of oil in about 8 weeks. Think spun a bearing. Almost have it paid off so don't really want to get rid of it. So it is possible to pull it out from the top? May pull the tranny with it idk yet. And ya looking for the manual maybe from GM to do the motor pull. I heard the four wheel drive is an absolute pain to deal with

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
This thread might be more helpful than sarcastic remarks. :shrug: It's what I used to do my engine swap.

http://www.355nation.net/forum/engine-swaps/43667-3-7-engine-swap-complete.html

LIke Kevin said, it's mainly just unbolting and unplugging everything and pulling, tranny bolts are a pain to get to so if you can I would pull it with the motor I would go that route. I spun 2 bearings in mine so I upgraded to the 3.7 and love it. Good luck man.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have an 08 Z71 4x4 with the 3.7 I5. Recently ran into a huge motor problem and I need to get the motor out. Two shops quoted me over 7500$ to replace the motor. Sooooo we are going to do it ourselves. I need help figuring out what way to pull the motor. Both shops told me that the motor had to be pulled out of the bottom of the truck which puts me between a rock and a hard place. Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated along with any suggestions on replacement motors or motor rebuild kits. Thanks guys.
Both shops full of shit.
You know where NOT to take your money now.

I suggest finding the lowest mileage motor you can afford here:

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So just for clarification. The 4 wheel drive inline 5 3.7 CAN be pulled through the hood? Thank you for the help guys this has been a pain in the ass to figure out

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
I found mine for $1400 shipped, just to give you an idea on pricing. Did the swap myself so labor free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts