Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok in brief...

Was going to install trans cooler. I took off the inboud trans line to radiator an a little trans fluid comes out. Get out from under truck to unpack Haden fitting. As I'm up, coolant starts pouring out of the radiator... Now what?

·
maniac mechanic
5,779 Posts
Sounds like it's time for a new radiator. It happens, mine just did it a while back where the trans cooler core busted so coolant can get into it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On phone, so poor typing. So I am in the process of getting a new radiator. Old one is out. How do I know my trans fluid hasn't already been contaminated? The truck has been running a bit hot going up hills according to ultraguage. I don't know trans temps as I have no way of reading them. This is why I got the cooler.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the new radiator in the truck already. I drove round for a bit and the truck seems to run a bit hotter which is odd. I seem to be having efan issues for one thing, but even while moving it's still hotter than normal. I'm calling it quits for the day to try and think things through...

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
What. You should have been fine by just finishing up after the coolant drained.:ugh2: If you had coolant in the transmission fluid the transmission would have been slipping and near failing.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nothing I read anywhere said anything about coolant coming out I that hole. It doesn't matter at this point, now I just have a spare radiator. I need to now figure out what I broke on my efan and I'm letting the truck cool down and I'll check my coolant level again as well as trans fluid.

T

·
0 Posts
Sometimes, the o-ring gets cut, between the internal cooler and the radiator, or just misaligned, then the coolant gets out. I tried to find this oring, but didnt succeed.

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
If you attempt to unthread the nut (where the Hayden goes in), coolant will poor out. Did you attempt to unthread it?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you attempt to unthread the nut (where the Hayden goes in), coolant will poor out. Did you attempt to unthread it?
Yes this is what I did.

·
Premium Member
2,498 Posts
I made this same mistake when I was installing the transmission cooler on my '06 (before I discovered this site I think) in 2007. I cut the rubber hose, let it drain, and figured I had to unthread the 'bolt' to remove & install the Hayden fitting.

Well, coolant started leaking out so I tightened it back up. That's when I discovered the retaining clip to remove the OEM fitting (& vice versa, to install the Hayden fitting into the 'bolt'). Turns out the design of the trans cooler inside the radiator pan uses those bolts to hold the trans cooler in place within the radiator pan; loosening the bolt only broke the seal allowing coolant out. Your trans cooler was still good and your radiator pan was still good, fluid wouldn't have mixed. All you needed to do was tighten the bolt, disengage the OEM fitting after removing the clip, & install the Hayden.

I think I just started going to ColoradoFans right after that and learned the glory of How-Tos!

FYI -- I drove 5000 miles while pulling a trailer in just over 4 days one week after installing the trans cooler -- no issues.

Look at this post, better idea of what I'm talking about:
http://www.355nation.net/forum/i4-i5-engine-drivetrain/114265-tranny-cooler-seal-2.html#post3143721

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya I kinda panicked and wasn't thinkin things through.

My issue now is the truck is overheating going up hills and at stoplights. I think I broke my efan somewhere along this whole ordeal.

Also, where can I take a bucket of coolant to dispose of it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I made this same mistake when I was installing the transmission cooler on my '06 (before I discovered this site I think) in 2007. I cut the rubber hose, let it drain, and figured I had to unthread the 'bolt' to remove & install the Hayden fitting.

Well, coolant started leaking out so I tightened it back up. That's when I discovered the retaining clip to remove the OEM fitting (& vice versa, to install the Hayden fitting into the 'bolt'). Turns out the design of the trans cooler inside the radiator pan uses those bolts to hold the trans cooler in place within the radiator pan; loosening the bolt only broke the seal allowing coolant out. Your trans cooler was still good and your radiator pan was still good, fluid wouldn't have mixed. All you needed to do was tighten the bolt, disengage the OEM fitting after removing the clip, & install the Hayden.

I think I just started going to ColoradoFans right after that and learned the glory of How-Tos!

FYI -- I drove 5000 miles while pulling a trailer in just over 4 days one week after installing the trans cooler -- no issues.

Look at this post, better idea of what I'm talking about:
http://www.355nation.net/forum/i4-i5-engine-drivetrain/114265-tranny-cooler-seal-2.html#post3143721

Im glad I found this, I dont see why the How to To on the trans cooler says to remove that fitting if the barb just clicks up and then you put the clip on.

I removed the fitting and all was good the I bumped the radiator getting a hose clamp and coolant starting coming out, it freaked me out. I quick put the barb on the fitting and tightened it back up. As soon as it started to thread in the coolant stopped so I just buttoned everything back up. I went for a test drive and there was no coolant loss.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts