Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently debating on a rim/tire setup for my ride. I own a 2008 Colorado Z85 4x4 with 2" lift shackles and a TB crank to level it out, the current tires are 235/75R15.
My goal is to get some more height and make it a bit more off road capable. I do plan to put a 1" or 1.5" body lift on it as well.

My current thoughts for tire/rim setup
- 31x10.50r15 on stock rims
OR
- 32x11.50r15 on black soft 8s (15"x8")(need some info on rims specs)
Any advice or input would be great.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
My advice is to hold out until you find a member trying to offload a set...and go big

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol. Thanks.

I'm not trying to go very big, I am building the truck with plans to do some overlanding adventures with it

·
Super Moderator
3,622 Posts
The 31's will be easier to fit but may look a little small if you do the body lift.

32's may require about 2.5" of crank and possibly some trimming/hammering because of the 11.5 inch width. Keep the wheel backspace between 4.5 to 5 inches. 4.5 will stick out past the fenders a bit

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I have a similar setup, 1.5" shackles and level on a 2008 Z85 with the 3.7l engine. I went with the 31.7 (265/75-16) option and I can tell you that it doesn't drive very well. I get 15mph around town/mixed. And it's very sluggish.

Stick with a 31 if you want it to not cost you a ton at the pump. I thought the HP rating would be good for the tire size, but it really isn't. If you decide to get your PCM tuned, it will make a difference. I haven't had mine tuned though.

I think 31's would actually look a little better too. I have Duratrac tires and the more aggressive tread pattern with aggressive side wall makes the tires look just a little bit too big. I have almost 7" of fender clearance, but it still looks just a little over-sized.

A 5" backspace will do your Z85 well. Of course that is subject to personal opinion. My tires are about an inch outside of the Z85 fender trim. With our body design wrapping inward on the bottom of the body, the tires are almost all exposed down low.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts
32's can be done easily if you do not mind trimming the inner fender well liner at the rear of the front fenders. You can run the 32's on a stock Z71 wheel and not have to trim the wheel well liner, but it will rub the sway bar at full lock with the slightest bit of compression of the front suspension. I am running 15x8 inch wheels witha 3.75 BS and 32 BFG AT's and had to trim. With more BS, like 4.5", you might get away with no trimming, but I am not sure about that.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
In all honesty, I wish that's what I had for my Z85. If I had the PCM tuned that would be another story, I'm sure.
I am okay with the sluggishness with it for all intensive purposes. It is more labor intensive to drive through mountains though because you can't use cruise (or let it shift all the way up a long hill) and 15mpg in town means a bunch of trips to the gas station (200 miles?). Not that 31's are a huge improvement, but at nearly an inch smaller-it should be an improvement.

In comparison to stock, I used to get about 19 around town and 24ish highway. Now it's 15 and 20.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I bit the bullet and went for the new tires today. Picked up some 31x10.50 r15 BFG's, just like what came on the truck when I bought it. I am loving them.

I am going to start getting the parts together for the body lift this week, I really don't think a 1" body lift will look bad at all. I might also put in a 1/4" wheel spacer, but I'm unsure of that.

So when all the factory tires had been dismounted I measured the rims, they were all 7 1/2" wide, thought that the Z85 had 6.5" wide rims???

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DigEm - Yeah I know. I checked the RPO's and this is a Z85, but these wheels were on it from the dealership...

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have 31s on my stock rims and I'm 2wd so I don't see why 32s would be an issue for you. I mean I get a little rub and full lockout so I don't fucking lock out problem solved. Go with 32s by the time they run out of tread your gonna want somethin new anyway.

Scratch that I didn't jump to this page before I wrote. Dur da Dur

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
If those are Z71 wheels then they are 7". The previous owner also slapped on the off-road sticker as well.

A little trickery there.
Good thing the wheels are Z71's because a 10.5" tire on a 6.5" wheel isn't a very good idea.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I don't think you'll notice a difference between the two. I believe the installation is the same for both of the kits. I've never installed a body lift, so I am not speaking from experience. But with the 3" body lifts I know there is more to it like a steering shaft extension (included in the kit).

If the kits are comparable in cost, then I'd say it is up to you. Something I may suggest is finding out if both kits offer a bumper relocation kit, or nice gap guards. If you have a gap between the bumper and the body of an 1", you'll notice that, and even more-so if you have a 1.5" gap. So i the 1" has guards or brackets to move the bumpers and the 1.5" doesn't, I'd say the 1" would look better just because you would not have unsightly gaps.

IF that even makes any sense.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts