Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lastnight I got to install my fogs which look great and went in easy as hell. I did them like in 20 minutes.

BUT NOW!

My low beam HID's arent working!!!!!!
:dawg:

I ran direct power from the ballast to the batt and it works. IDK if I need to disable the daytime running sensor or run a relay. Now the kit didnt come w/ a relay nor does it mention anything about a relay. Now the techs here where I work (chevrolet dealer) said I need to run a relay? I dont understand why this one has to be so difficult?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!:mad5:

I got a Pilot 6000K 9006 HID kit.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
What year is the truck? I think there is an issue running HID's on 06-07's since they run the headlight low beams as DRL's

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Dunno that might work, but I think thats gonna be a major issue in this equation. Hopefully an 06-07'er comes in with HID's and has a solution for yaas on my 04 i just wired em' right up plug and play style.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dunno that might work, but I think thats gonna be a major issue in this equation. Hopefully an 06-07'er comes in with HID's and has a solution for yaas on my 04 i just wired em' right up plug and play style.
this sucks....

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Did you look into HID's on 06-07's before you went and spent your money? Gotta do your research bud... and dont think all hope is lost.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Here's the how-to convert your headlamp DRLs into the marker lights:

burn said:
So I have had several people PMing me about how I converted my Headlight DRLs into marker DRLs. The title of the thread I posted my how-to in was a bit misleading. Also my how-to was a few posts down in someone else's thread so even if someone managed to find the thread through searching they may mis the post. Anyways Im gonna repost it so that people can see how its done.

So in this write-up, I will demonstrate how I converted my 06+ headlight DRLs into marker light DRLs (similar to the 04-05 models). This will also iluminate both markers, not just the outside marker as stock with the 04-05 models. For reference to what we are doing here; here is a before and after picture:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Disclaimer: "Please use caution and seek professional assistance when necessary. ................., myself and all associated members are not responsible for any damages, injuries or other harm which may occur with this modification. This post does not reflect the views of ................. and it's ownership." Before attempting this modification, it is advised to verify your Colorado or Canyon service manual or a certified mechanic, as not all GMT 355's are the same!

Modified GMT355:
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Colorado Z85
Year: 2006
Power windows: No
Sun Roof: No
Production Date: N/A

Difficulty: Moderate

This is how the 06+ headlight DRLs look like stock:

Notice the headlights are lit, however the markers are not. (In order to get the DRLs to light I had to have someone hold the brake while in gear. When you are in park they turn off automatically)

Here is an inside view of the fuse box cover. Please confirm yours is the same before proceeding:

In this picture I have circled the fuse & relay that will need to be modified for this conversion:

You will need to purchase a mini add-a-fuse circuit:

You will need to modify the way the wire exits the add-a-fuse so that it comes out the opposite direction:

The reason is so that the cover can close. The add-a-fuse must be installed in this direction - if you just turn it around so that the wire exits towards the middle of the fusebox, this mod wont work:

You will also need a 5-wire relay & harness. Remove the wire for pin 87 from the harness, and cut the wire for pin 85 to be about 1" long:

tin the backside of the terminal for pin 87:

solder the wire for pin 85 to the backside of the terminal for pin 87:

Then reinsert it back into the harness:

Next we are going to need to remove the cover to the DRL relay. You will also need to cut-off pin 87 on this relay:

Solder the wire from pin 87 in the new relay harness to the remainder of the pin 87 on the inside of the OEM relay:

Now we are going to need to make a notch in the cover of the OEM relay to allow the wire to exit:

Then reinstall:

Now we are going to need to cut a spare mini-fuse in half and strip away the plastic. You are going to need 1 of the blades. Solder the blade at a 90* angle to the wire from pin 87a:

Then solder the wire from pin 30 to the terminal on the mini add-a-fuse circuit:

Then plug the blade you soldered to wire from pin 87a into the socket in the add-a-fuse on the terminal side of the socket:

Then install it into your fuse box as shown:

Now the black wire that is tied to the blue wire is a ground. I was hoping to find a ground in the fuse box but was not successful... So I had to add an extension and just hooked it to the battery ground for the sake of testing.

Here is the finished result. Notice the headlights are no longer lit - but both inner & outer markers are lit:

Now after I got everything working I found that I couldn't close the cover. DOH! So I ended up going back and eliminating the relay harness and just using blade terminals to cut down on space. Here is the relay tucked away inside the fuse box:

Also make sure to cover all of your exposed wires - I use liquid-electrical tape:

Enjoy!

Once you convert it, you shouldn't have any issues running your HIDs in the lows.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
god damn rrcn.. thats fuckin awesome write up.. good luck echo

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
or just pull the DRL fuse from the fuse box. (or so i hear), and then you dont have to worry about the DRL's.

i dont have HIDs yet, but from what i hear that works:shrug:
hmmm sounds like it makes sense...im definate
ly going to try that.

Here's the how-to convert your headlamp DRLs into the marker lights:

Once you convert it, you shouldn't have any issues running your HIDs in the lows.
this also sounds like going to work pretty well but i have this problem where its very hard to me to tear up my truck lol. For sure im going to keep it in mind but more of a last resort.

thanks

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Echo if ya wanna come up to WPB i'll help ya tear it apart and put it back togeather again :)

lol yea i might have too. Lets see what happens tonight after I get out of work. I want that tune, so ill let you kno doggie. kill 2 birds w/ one stone.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sounds good man I got thursday completly free this week so lemme know
Damn its hard for me to shoot all the way up there on weekday b/c of work and the fact that i live all the way in sw miami dade its a long ride you kno what i mean. saturdays and sundays are obviously better days.

btw you kno anyone or can you tune on 01 S-10 4.3L, my boy wants to kno.

thanks

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Yeah I could do a weekend day it'll just have to be early in the day since I work nights.

HPtuners works on it, i've never done a s-10 before but we could always give it a shot. I know I could for sure set it up for bigger wheels/tires, kill the speed limiter, and tweak a few other common settings, but no guarauntee of a professional experienced tune... ya know?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
echo.. to do that how to . doesn't seem that bad.. u should just give it a try.. seems kinda easy.. good luck on this.. hope it all works out for ya

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I could do a weekend day it'll just have to be early in the day since I work nights.

HPtuners works on it, i've never done a s-10 before but we could always give it a shot. I know I could for sure set it up for bigger wheels/tires, kill the speed limiter, and tweak a few other common settings, but no guarauntee of a professional experienced tune... ya know?
for sure then. the most important thing to him his the wheel/tire and limiter

echo.. to do that how to . doesn't seem that bad.. u should just give it a try.. seems kinda easy.. good luck on this.. hope it all works out for ya
thanks....mad reps to all

:salute:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts