Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to replace my low beams with hid's. Not sure which ones to buy and where to buy them. Want them to be bright as I don't see that well at night. Not sure which ballast and other accessories I need to buy.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Low beams for our trucks is a 9006 HID kit. Color temperature Is your choice. If you're looking for a factory white HID color, go with 4300k or 5000k. Light blue 6000k. 8000k blue and 10000k dark blue. Buy the kit so the bulbs and ballast come together. You can buy cheap kits on eBay. But as Ive said on here before. If you pay thirty dollars on an hid kit, you're going to get thirty dollars worth. I went ahead and bought a 90$ HID kit. Its been installed for over three years now, 0 problems.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
9006 for the low beams and 9005 for the high beams. If you keep both kits 35w, you won't need the harness.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jesse: Thanks for your quick reply. Do you use your stock reflective housing. I don't want to blind people, just want to see better at night.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Keep them in the 4300K to 5000K color temp range if you want to see well at night and the 35W, 55W & 70W kits will work fine with the stock harness. You will only need a higher amperage relay harness for the 75W to 100W HID kits.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Low beams for our trucks is a 9006 HID kit. Color temperature Is your choice. If you're looking for a factory white HID color, go with 4300k or 5000k. Light blue 6000k. 8000k blue and 10000k dark blue. Buy the kit so the bulbs and ballast come together. You can buy cheap kits on eBay. But as Ive said on here before. If you pay thirty dollars on an hid kit, you're going to get thirty dollars worth. I went ahead and bought a 90$ HID kit. Its been installed for over three years now, 0 problems.

Just curious which kit you bought and from where. Your $ 90.00
kit is about 3 time the price of the DDM kits. Where do you consider that your kit is superior than the ones sold at DDM.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
kit is about 3 time the price of the DDM kits. Where do you consider that your kit is superior than the ones sold at DDM.
I've got the ddm 35w 6k kit. I've had them for 4 yrs with zero issues and n stock housings. I've never been flashed (I did adjust them when I got them so they point a little lower) and have had no complaints of blinding anyone, even when following my wife and she would have said something if I blinded her.

·
Monkey Slut!
9,479 Posts
Yeahthat!

Jesse: Thanks for your quick reply. Do you use your stock reflective housing. I don't want to blind people, just want to see better at night.
No problem, yeah stock housings and point them down a little more than you would stock bulbs and you'll be fine. You can't go wrong with DDM, other then there long wait for shipping. I would pay the extra money to have them shipped faster since they come from China.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I ordered this kit from a local shop In the town that I live in. The only noticeable difference is the ballasts have heat sinks built into the housing. I've had this kit in three different vehicles and never gave me any problems. This kit was made in the US , says it on the ballast. I have no idea where they order from. DDM kits are a lot cheaper, I have them installed in my low beams and the $90 kit in my high beams. The low beams have flickered since the day I bought them. And I've had to replace the ballasts before. This is just my personal experience, based on what I've heard, they have worked better for others

·
Registered
208 Posts
What's the point of going with HID kits if you end up having to point them lower so that you don't blind people? You end up illuminating the crap out of the area directly in front of your truck and have limited distance illumination.

Do it right and put projectors in your stock housings and you will never look back.

The Retrofit Source | Innovative Headlight Upgrades

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Projectors are annoying as hell watching them bounce all over on shitty roads and we got a lot of shitty roads here. In stock housing it's not like they are pointed at the ground...just a little lower than normal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts