Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a set of projection lights and can't stand the standard light color after having HID's. I still have the ballast and want to buy H1 HID bulbs. BUT, after looking at the lights last night I noticed a little red sticker that says "Do Not Use HID". Why? What will it damage? Or will it?

Anyone know? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Bulb heat?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the only thing that came to mind. Perhaps the projection housing couldn't take the heat??

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
That's what I'd bet my money on.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Other than making the hole bigger and the clip issue, any other problems?

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Projection bulbs actually run cooler. The reason is just because they don't fit. I had to bake mine, and file down the edges of the socket inside the projector.

Did you mean HID bulbs?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, now I'm confused.........The base of the H1 HID bulb is to large to fit into the projection H1 socket?? or the HID H1 bulb is to long? or both? If it's just a case of enlarging the projection socket for the HID H1 bulb to fit, I don't see that being a big deal.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I had to loosen and then retighten the mount plate on my headlights in order for the bulbs to screw into the socket. I think that is what he is talking about.

I remember folks mentioning that the bulb was too long for the projector - but I do not have projectors or any first hand experience with this. Just taking a guess.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Ok, now I'm confused.........The base of the H1 HID bulb is to large to fit into the projection H1 socket?? or the HID H1 bulb is to long? or both? If it's just a case of enlarging the projection socket for the HID H1 bulb to fit, I don't see that being a big deal.
When I tried it the bulb would only go part of the way in. So I took apart the whole projector setup and saw where it was getting caught and filed it down a bit.

I think the reason they put the sticker on was because clearance was a little tight and they didn't want anyone trying to jam an HID in and ruin their expensive bulb. Who knows.

I had to loosen and then retighten the mount plate on my headlights in order for the bulbs to screw into the socket. I think that is what he is talking about.

I remember folks mentioning that the bulb was too long for the projector - but I do not have projectors or any first hand experience with this. Just taking a guess.
The projector lights use H1 bulbs and have a little clip that snaps into place to lock them in from behind, thats what I'm talking about.

The bulb being too long was an issue I heard as well. Mine fit though, I don't know if all H1 bulbs are exactly the same length or not. Anyone know?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts